Fashion Forecast: 2016 Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

A new year calls for new (soon-to-be-broken) resolutions, as well as new looks.  From burnt orange to the continued reign of fringe, we’re bringing you the rundown of what are sure to be this year’s hottest trends.

1.     The White Oxford

If you rocked a uniform back in the day, the revival of this wardrobe staple might leave you feeling less-than-enthused.  Nonetheless, designers such as Zac Posen have varied the Oxford’s neckline and overall silhouette to ensure that its comeback appears anything but boring.   

2.     Suede

Last year, the persistent popularity of fringe assured fashion gurus that the 1970s remained alive and well in 2015.  Looking ahead, suede will join fringe as a major fashion staple this spring.  What a time to be alive and, by alive, we mean at Coachella.

3.     Orange

Pantone may have declared Rose Quartz and Serenity the colors of the year, but orange – in a variety of shades – will dominate stores this spring and summer.  Elle Woods would not approve.  

4.     Net

Whether you’re rocking a bathing suit cover-up or an elegant cocktail dress, you can rely on netted fabrics to keep you cool this summer.

5.     Fabric, fabric, fabric — and bows! 

The collections debuted at New York Fashion Week last fall all shared two common factors – an abundance of fabric and lots of large bows.  If Gucci’s show serves as any indicator, pairing slightly mismatched fabrics – and a lot of them – will remain popular from season to season in 2016, as will bows.

Najet Fazai

Columbia Barnard