Fashion Focus: Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

When you’ve got three final exams looming and it’s a nippy 40 degrees outside, sometimes getting dressed just isn’t worth the effort. Even with Barnard’s tunnel system making it easy to avoid the inclement weather, it can still seem like running a brush through your hair takes up too much of the energy needed to memorize 200 artifacts for Art History 101. As you stumble out of bed and trip over your open textbooks and piles of flashcards, it’s very tempting to grab your XXL Columbia sweatshirt and matching baggy sweatpants.  With very little effort you can still have the comfort of sweats and look chic and pulled-together…it’s called “pajama dressing” and it’s all the rage this season. Take, for example, a chic pair of silk wide legged trousers – seen on the Spring runways of Lanvin, Michael Kors, Alexander Wang, and Derek Lam.

Silk pants, which can be just as comfortable as a pair of unbecoming sweats, give off the appearance of looking put together. In fact, they can easily take you from studying in Butler to a night out on the town. If the designer version is out of your reach, more realistic runway pajama-inspired versions are available at Topshop, ASOS, and Zara. Pair them with a silk blouse and chunky knit scarf during the day or a pair of heeled booties and leather jacket for night. Another variation on this theme is to upgrade from your baggy t-shirt to a silky jammie top. These loose tops are not only soft on your skin but also forgiving and capable of concealing the results of your JJ’s binge. 

So save the grungy sweats for the confines of your dorm room and step it up with a chic look inspired by your boudoir – because when you look good, you feel good. All of these good feelings will boost your confidence and might affect not only your appearance but also your performance. Happy studying to all and good luck on finals!

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!