jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall Fashion Trends: Get the Look for Less

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Living on a student budget it can often be hard to afford the latest designers pieces. As much as we may want to splurge on a Marc Jacobs fur coat or pastel pink Gucci swing dress, we know (logically) that it’s probably now the best idea for our wallets. But don’t worry; we’ve rounded up some cheap alternatives that will keep you looking trendy (and warm!) this fall.

Trend: 60s

The ‘60s are back and literally swinging. Mini skirts, high boots and geometric prints graced the Fall/Winter 2014-15 runways. Designers infused these 60s looks with pastel colors, embellishments, and trendy accessories in order to give them a modern twist. Pairing a high neck swing dress with a pair of high boots will make you a fabulous real life  #TBT.

The Look: Gucci Pink Swing Dress

For Less:

Asos Swing Dress

Dolce Vita Boots

Trend: Raver

EDM culture has been taking the fashion world by storm over the past year. From Skrillex sitting front row at fashion week, to Miley Cyrus’ revamping of raver ‘kandi’, to Diplo behind the DJ booth at many a fashion week party, it is clear that EDM and fashion are joining hands. A colorful oversized shirt paired with leggings and platforms is the perfect comfy but still rave-ready outfit.

The Look: Marc by Marc Jacobs Blue + Red Outfit

For Less:

Unif Tee

F21 Leggings 

Nylon Shop Shoes

Trend: Oversized

There are few things more comfortable than snuggling up in an oversized sweater; luckily, there are also few things more fashionable this season. Contrast the voluminous sweater with skinny jeans or a slim line skirt for a fun contrast. Alternatively if you are feeling ambitious, take notes from The Row and match an oversized sweater with a flowing skirt. However you choose to style it, you’ll be warm, comfortable, and chic.

The Look: The Row

For Less:

Zara Sweater

Urban Outfitters Skirt

Topshop Shoes

Trend: Velvet

Velvet is going through a renaissance this fall. No longer is the plush fabric reserved only for holiday parties and formal affairs. Velvet’s opulence can seem intimidating, but velvet chokers, shoes, blazers and jeans can be a great alternative for those who want to wear something a little tamer.

The Look: Tom Ford

For Less:

Asos Dress

Jeffrey Campbell Boots

Trend: Color Fur

On the runway and off, lavish colored (faux and real) furs have been catching our eyes for a while now. Just because it’s outerwear doesn’t mean that it has to be dull. Coming in various lengths, textures, and hues, there is a colorful cuddly coat for everyone. Be loud and proud in a colorful fur coat this fall.

The Look: Marc Jacobs Fur Coat

For Less:

Fur Coat

OR

Fur Coat #2

Happy Shopping!