Emily Rappoport and Abby Carras: The Ultimate Big Little Duo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Names: Emily Rappoport and Abby Carras

Hometowns: 

Emily: Philadelphia, PA

Abby: Potomac, MD

School/Year: We are both seniors. Abby is in SEAS and Emily is at Barnard. 

Majors: Abby is majoring in Operations Research: Engineering Management Systems (getting this to fit on her resume has been a challenge), and Emily is majoring in Information Science. We both geek out over problem sets and algorithms and have spent countless hours looking for the missing semicolon.

Relationships? One of these things is not like the other…

Tell us a little bit about what you do on campus: We both dabble in random things on campus, but Delta Gamma is what brought us together. Last year Abby was President, and Emily was in charge of the new members.

How did you two meet? Emily is Abby’s little! But we were destined to meet… Abby was chilling in an RV at Bonnaroo when she met Emily’s brother who told her his sister would be transferring to Barnard next year. Abby remembered who Emily was the next year and awkwardly introduced herself. The rest is history.

Best part about being big and little: There’s always someone to do things with, including but not limited to RENT singalongs and obnoxious home-made music videos on photo booth. We always have someone to send that extra life in Candy Crush and to match with on senior scramble (but also because we are each others one true love).

Funniest memory as sisters: It’s our lineage’s tradition to give a goldfish on the last day of big/little week. Abby was so excited to get Emily as her little that she bought not only one fish but five!! All of which Emily named Nemo. Unfortunately, Emily has no room in her heart for goldfish. When one of them died, and Abby wasn’t responding immediately to Emily’s texts, she flushed it and the other four live fish down the toilet. R.I.P. Nemos 

Favorite ways to procrastinate: Most of our time is spent wasting time on the DG couch (@zetathetacouch follow it on Instagram y’all). We also both like spinning…the only fight we have ever had is Flywheel (Emily likes to fuel her competitive edge) vs. Soul Cycle (where Abby finds her…soul)

Post-grad plans: Abby will be working in Sales & Trading with a grueling two block commute every morning. Emily will be an analyst for a health care analytics company in midtown. She is most looking forward to being within walking distance from the Bryant Park holiday shops.

Clubs you wish you had joined before graduation: We’re both patrons of the arts at heart. Abby wishes she was good enough at singing to be in Nonseq, Emily wishes she had joined the cast of a CMTS show, but this doesn’t stop her from performing one-woman shows for her friends. We have video evidence… 

Top three things on your Columbia/Barnard bucket list:

Emily
  1. Wearing my hippo onesie to a social outing (accomplished!)
  2. Making information science a recognized major at Barnard (in progress…) 
  3. Having the new bouncer at Mel’s not question the fact that I’m not only 21 but 22 (long shot)
Abby:
  1. Finding a friend in IEOR to sit with at senior dinner (working on it) 
  2. Understanding the Diana pizza line and not getting yelled at when I try to take one (struggling with this one) 
  3. Graduating (would be nice)

Best and worst things about finals week:

Best: Being in a sorority is really helpful for finding seats in Butler.

Worst: Being in Butler

Meal that you will miss most in MoHi:

Emily: Going back to my Jewish roots…a nice bagel and lox from Absolute is the perfect cure for the Sunday blues.

Abby: Considering that I order Strokos to my room (one block away) almost every morning, I should probably give them a shoutout. The most underrated place near Columbia.