Elyse Pitock: Original Playwright, “Grieving For Fish”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Grieving for Fish uses theatre to explore and reflect upon ideas of mental health, wellness, and surrounding stigmas within the Columbia University community. Launched under the working title “The Us Inside Project” in spring of 2013, the initial GFF team gathered first-hand testimonials of BC, CC, SEAS, and GS students as related to experiences adjusting to college, managing stress, and dealing with newly-discovered and pre-existing mental health conditions here at Columbia. During the summer of 2013, Elyse used these real-life stories as source material for the eight-actor, ensemble-driven play now titled Grieving for Fish, which tells the story of five students who weave in and out of each other’s lives over the course of their first year at college. Each of these characters grapples with changing ideas of morality, religion, and identity as they come to terms with themselves in the new environment of the university. The show runs Thursday 11/21, Friday 11/22, and Saturday 11/23, with each performance starting at 8 pm in Barnard’s Glicker-Milstein Theater on Diana LL2.

Reserve tickets at the TIC (free w/CUID, $5 general public): http://tinyurl.com/grievingforfish2013

1. Can you describe the inspiration behind the central themes and format you chose for the NOMADS play “Grieving For Fish?”

I wanted to create a forum for students to tell and hear stories about the adjustment to college in a safe and anonymous forum. Because it’s such a sensitive topic, many people don’t feel comfortable sharing, but a huge part of removing the stigma surrounding mental wellness is hearing the stories of peers who have dealt with these issues. Theater seemed like a new and appropriate way to create something that was specific to the Columbia University community. 

2. The show’s creative team collected anecdotes from throughout the Columbia University community to help create its message. What was that process like?

It was fascinating for us to hear so many stories. From doing these interviews, I know so many people’s secrets–secrets that even their friends don’t know–and it strikes me as so sad, because I think our friends (and even strangers, sometimes) have so much more capacity to be supportive than we anticipate.

3. If you’re allowed to say, can you tell us which of the play’s issues you think the cast has reacted to the most powerfully?

Something that a lot of people throughout the process have been able to relate to is the loneliness that comes with difficult emotions. I think whether or not someone has personally experienced any of the issues in the play, they have probably kept some secret or had some feeling that made them feel isolated. 

4. Has anything surprised you about the “Grieving For Fish” experience?

I had always believed that there was a stigma, but the process convinced me that the stigma is even stronger than I thought. Like I said, people didn’t tell their friends, even their best friends, about what they had experienced for fear of being perceived as unstable or weak or burdensome. At the same time, I have been pleasantly surprised by the pace at which the conversation on campus has been moving over the past semester, and how many people have been more public about their stories. 

And now for some fun questions…

1. What do you think should be part of every reharsal routine?

Everyone should bring the playwright cookies.

2. Favorite thanksgiving food staple?

I’m not sure because I like too many different kinds of pies, but I tried stuffing for the first time the other day and I can definitively tell you that that is not it. 

3. Where is your favorite spot on campus to write?

I wish I could tell you it was a cafe or a library, but really it’s just in my bed.

4. Recommend a show for us to see this season in NYC! :) 

I haven’t seen much theater this semester, but I would love to see Bad Jews or Fun Home!

Alexandra Shapiro

Columbia Barnard

Alexandra is a Senior at Barnard majoring in American Studies. While she isn't planning the week's pitches for Her Campus Barnard, she can be found checking her horoscope, listening to college acapella videos, decorating her room with Paris-themed accessories, or trying to imitate Charlotte from Sex and the City. She also loves self-improvement, Indian food, the Kennedys, traveling, and laughing at her brother and sister's jokes. She is spending this semester interning in MTV's Marketing department.