Eating Around Columbia: The Good, The Cheap, and The Inedible

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Let’s be honest, most of us wake up in the morning thinking about food and how we can plan our day around when and where we will be eating. Basically, food is really really important. We want to make sure we are doing it right. Morningside Heights may not be known for its food, but as a senior, I think I have perfected the list of the best and worst restaurants that Columbia has to offer.

The Best

I don’t know about you but I like my breakfast food, Some of my favorite places to eat near campus serve just that:

Kitchenette

If you are looking for a super cute, girly brunch with a big menu, Kitchenette on 123rd and Amsterdam is definitely worth the trek. From breakfast staples like delicious omelets to over the top sugary creations, Kitchenette is a must. Pro tip: they are on Seamless for those times when walking a few blocks is just too much of a struggle. If you’re not in the mood for breakfast, their mac&cheese is to die for.

Community

If pastels and polka dots aren’t your thing, try Community on Broadwaybetween 113th and 112th. Not only is Community perfect for lovers of local, organic food, but it is also absolutely delicious. Seriously though…I eat there multiple times per week. Take a friend and split an order of blueberry pancakes and the huevos rancheros because the hardest decision you’ll have to make there is salty or sweet.

Pisticci

Pisticci is easily some of the best Italian food I have eaten in the city. Again, it is a little off the beaten path on 123rd and La Salle, but the heavenly carbs more than make up for the walk. Pisticci is perfect for a girls night out filled with delicious spaghetti and carafes of the house wine. It’s also perfect for a first date with that cutie from your lit class or one of our very own Campus Cuties.

Artopolis

I have a huge sweet tooth so any place that has a giant case of treats when you walk in the door has a special place in my heart. The crepes here also steal the show. If you are looking for a quick gourmet lunch with the best chai of your life, Artopolis is the place for you.

Cheap

Living in the city is expensive, and sometimes it is easy to forget that we are college students living on college student budgets. When you spend tomorrow’s food money buying drinks for all your friends at Mel’s, it helps to know where you can get some cheap eats near campus.

Absolute

One of the best things about New York is the bagels. You have not really had a bagel until you have had a good New York bagel, and these are not only the best in Morningside Heights, but also some of the best in the city. Don’t let the long line on Saturday mornings intimidate you. Absolute is definitely worth the wait.

Koronet’s

Most of us have never been to Koronet’s during the light of day, and there may be a reason for that. But when the late night munchies take over, it’s almost impossible to pass up a slice of Koronet’s on the walk home from Cannons. What could be better than a delicious slice of pizza that you can share with all of your friends and all for under $5?

Taqueria y Fonda

I take Mexican food very seriously, so trust me when I say that this place is delicious! Its definitely a hole in the wall, but if you are looking for authentic Mexican food, amazing tacos, and burritos the size of a child this place is for you. Please resist the urge to be tempted by the gross food at The Heights and Amigos.

Skip

It’s just as important to know where not to eat as it is to know where to eat. Take it from someone who has eaten their share of very bad food; you’ll want to skip these restaurants.

The Heights

The Heights is perfect for a fun pregame out to share margs with all your besties. They do margaritas very well, but their food is a definite skip. Plus you are already going to Taqueria y Fonda, so there is no need for bad Mexican food.

Amigos

If you are trying to have drinks with your friends to celebrate your reunion after a long summer, the fish bowl at Amigos is the perfect treat. The Mexican food, however, is not.

V&T

V&T’s is a Columbia staple, but there are just so many better options for Italian food near campus that this spot has earned its place on my skip list.