The Definitive Ranking of 29Rooms’ 29 Rooms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Last week, I reviewed Refinery29’s art extravaganza 29Rooms.  It was so good that one article would not suffice – the content could not be contained.  So now, Her Campus Barnard presents: the top five of 29Rooms’ 29 rooms.  

5.  CLOUD POOL in collaboration with Chiaozza

Refinery29’s press release describes Cloud Pool as a “utopian paradise… Guests immerse themselves into the alluring dream pit, made of purple foam blocks… CLOUD POOL is a place to shed your insecurities, reflect upon hopes and dreams, and harness your inner child.”  Cloud Pool makes the top five because I’m convinced that an adult foam pit is much more fun than the adult ball pit every high school senior class tries to plan for their prank.  Cloud Pool only takes the number five spot, though, because I did not actually dive in during my tour.  Additionally, there are still some lingering childhood fears of sinking to the bottom.  

4. THE WOMB in collaboration with Cleo Wade

The Womb is described as a “fully immersive experience recreating the sensation of being inside a mother’s womb. Crawl into the giant enclosed bean bag, curl up, and soak in all the love while listening to a meditative poem written and recited by artist Cleo Wade. Replenish your love of self and others in this comfortable space so that you may reenter the world with more love to give.” I was initially off put by The Womb because I have never had the conscious desire to return to my mother’s womb.  However, Cleo Wade is a wonderful poet, and her emphasis on self love throughout the meditation tape is beautiful.  This was one of the most conceptual rooms, emphasizing the theme, “Turn it Into Art.”  Plus, I love any excuse to lay down when I’m supposed to be working.  

3. OCEAN OF CREATIVITY in collaboration with Jee Young Lee

“In collaboration with Korean contemporary artist Jee Young Lee, this room will turn trash collected from around New York City into an entirely sustainable seascape portrait that guests can step into to create the last link in this transformative chain.”  9,800 bottles, 4,000 bottle caps, 1,500 wine corks, and dozens of sheets of newspaper (all containing articles about Hurricane Harvey) made up Oceans of Creativity.  Her intent to draw attention to the environmental disaster surrounding us was clear, and effective.  A prime example of the tone of activism present throughout 29Rooms, Ocean of Creativity is both visually and emotionally impactful.    

2. HEAR OUR VOICE in collaboration with Women’s March

“Capturing the potent spirit of activism from the Women’s March, this space takes you back to that historic moment, asking you to channel your creativity to unite and use the power of our collective voices. Surrounded by the artwork created in collaboration with Refinery29 as well as work by Amplifier, guests can write a message to their national representative and continue to push that revolutionary energy forward.”  While many of the rooms inspired guests to promote change, Hear Our Voice was the most directly active.  It featured a table filled with postcards and a list of your representative’s address, complete with a mailbox for the postcards set to be delivered at the end of 29Rooms’ run.  

1. THE FUTURE IS FEMALE in collaboration with Madame Gandhi and Jen Mussari

In the top spot is boxing bash The Future is Female.  The room is a place to “take out your frustrations on hand painted punching bags by illustrator Jen Mussari.  Fit with punching gloves and surrounded by the pumping sounds of the powerful single, ‘The Future Is Female’ by electronic music artist Madame Gandhi, guests will create a beautiful stress-free symphony together.”  The bags were painted with messages like “The Future is Female”, of course, but also, “Fight for Each Other”, “We’ve got something to say”, “The Future is Trans” and more.  In terms of creativity, The Future is Female takes the cake as well; who ever thought of a punching bag symphony?  Channeling frustration into inspiration is what 29Rooms is all about.  

Hannah Zwick

Columbia Barnard '21

Hannah Zwick is a student at Barnard College. Every day she spends at Columbia University in the City of New York she strays further from God and closer to Vampire Weekend. https://hannahzwick.contently.com/
Sydney Hotz

Columbia Barnard

Sydney is in love with New York City, dogspotting, and chorizo tacos. She's an aspiring novelist, a Barnard feminist, and might deny she was born in New Jersey.