De-Stressing: A Comedy Special For Every Day of the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

One of the best ways to cope with the stress of your daily life is television. But what if we could make this time effective, motivating and defined? (Let’s not spend another full afternoon binge-watching Friends.) Well, below are comedy specials for each day of the week because they’re the perfect solution to this problem.

Sunday

Hannah Gadsby’s Nanette (Netflix with subscription)

This special is the perfect way to start off your week. It’s deadpan, yet incredibly inspiring. So it won’t give you a headache after your weekend nights, but it will also encourage you to live your best, most ethical life for the rest of the week. Plus, Nanette will definitely give you something to talk about with your friends during the coming week.

Favorite quote: “I don’t assume bald babies are boys. I assume they are angry feminists, and I treat them with respect.”

Monday

Donald Glover’s Weirdo (Netflix with subscription, Prime Video $1.99, Vudu $2.99, iTunes $3.99)

Weirdo is great for the “Monday blues.” It’s gritty, crude and dark, which is often what we feel like at the start of the week. This special is perfect because it validates those feelings but also relieves that stress.

Content warning for rape and language.

Favorite quote: “So I put it up on my Twitter and I was like, ‘Oh, Donald for Spider-Man, let’s do this.’ You know, kind of a joke, but also, like, who doesn’t want to be Spider-Man? … That’d be cool. And that’s when the world went crazy. And half the world was like, ‘Donald for Spider-Man!’ … and the other half was like, ‘He’s black, kill him!’ Like, it was so fast. It was so fast.”

Tuesday

Hasan Minhaj’s Homecoming King (Netflix with subscription)

Tuesday brings the stress of the many exams, readings, essays and more that are due during the rest of the week. After watching this special not only will you be relaxed, but you will also feel inspired to succeed, and to get those assignments done. Minhaj offers an incredible immigration story dispersed with hilarious anecdotes and asides which will truly touch every viewer.

Favorite quote: “I bet when Gandhi told his parents that he would stand up to the British and liberate India … Even they were like, ‘Arey Mohandas, log kya kahenge? [‘what will they think?’] Stop marching. The British are talking shit about us. Why are you bald and skinny? You’re being weird. You’ll never get married.’”

Wednesday

Bo Burnham’s Make Happy (Netflix with subscription)

To get over “hump day,” watch Make Happy. It’s absolutely entertaning and goofy, and scattered throughout the hour-long special, Burnham sits down at his piano and sings witty, sometimes crass songs. Take a break with this special; it’s super fun, and you don’t need to think that much.

Favorite quote: “Straight white male. … We used to have all the money and land, and we still do, but it’s not as fun now.”

Thursday

2 Dope Queens’ New York (HBO GO with subscription)

Let’s be real: By Thursday, your attention span may be dwindling, which is why this special is absolutely perfect. No need to listen to one single person talk for more than an hour. This special has Jessica Williams (left) and Phoebe Robinson (right) talk about their lives and New York (woot, woot!), interspersed with stand-up guests like Michelle Buteau and a great conversation with Jon Stewart. You’ll be laughing the whole time. (Side note: If you don’t want to watch something, their podcast 2 Dope Queens is equally wonderful and can be found on many platforms for free!)

Favorite quote: “You know what? This might be a little controversial, just a white guy that should apologize—maybe Thomas Jefferson. … Yes, and also the people who are like, ‘His lover, Sally—’ No, it’s not—Sally Hemings was not a lover.”

Friday

John Mulaney’s The Comeback Kid (Netflix with subscription)

Yay, you made it through the week! What was it all for? Well, adulthood—and that’s what this special is all about. Mulaney tells wild, lively, side-splitting stories about the various shenanigans he’s faced. You might be stressed about what your future holds, but The Comeback Kid will diminish those fears with joyous accounts of adulthood.

Besides that though, is one of the funniest stories about Bill Clinton ever.

Favorite quote: “My vibe is more like, ‘Hey, you could pour soup in my lap and I’ll probably apologize to you.’ … I look like a doll that you point out molestation on. ‘Show us on this white comedian where the man touched you.’”

Saturday

It’s Saturday, so why not leave campus and go to UCB Hell’s Kitchen or UCB East Village? Tickets are usually $7 to $12, you can be any age to enter and the shows are only one hour long. It’s a wonderful experience, and one you will definitely want to repeat.

Hopefully this list will be helpful the next time you need to unwind, but don’t want to be tempted into binge-watching!