Dan McConnell: Director of CU-EMS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Dan McConnell

Major: Biology

College/Year: Columbia College 2014

While many of us go out with friends, hang out in the dorms, or study in the library on Saturday nights, Dan McConnell directs shifts for Columbia University Emergency Medical Service, frequently referred to as CAVA. Dan, a Columbia College senior majoring in biology and a premedical student, is a former Director of the Service and Crew Chief of CU-EMS. A New Jersey native, Dan comes from a civil service background; many of his family members were firefighters or in the military and growing up he wanted to become a firefighter. Dan joined CU-EMS as a sophomore and since then he has devoted more than 2500 hours to the service.

When someone “is CAVA’d,” it’s Dan and his team that arrive. As a crew chief, Dan oversees 12-hour shifts. During that time he is responsible for training members of CU-EMS and upholding patients’ safety and care. All patients are his responsibility during a shift. Recently, as director, Dan oversaw the entire organization and all of the shifts. He networked with Columbia University, New York City, and New York State while director. Interestingly, most calls are not alcohol or drug related. Dan remembers his first call was a car accident; he had to transport a patient at four in the morning to a hospital.

Such important responsibility may intimidate some of us, but Dan loves working for and with CU-EMS. He says he enjoys the chance to serve the university and the city. CU-EMS offers him an amazing opportunity to be an emergency worker and first responder, something most people do not get the chance to do in college. Dan compares participating in CU-EMS to being in a fraternity or sorority: the friendships formed in these organizations are like nothing else. In CU-EMS, strong friendships form in a short period of time because tight relationships must develop under high-stress situations. The members of CU-EMS come to trust and depend on each other so they can perform well on call.

Dan also says it easy to overwork yourself when on CU-EMS. It can be difficult to balance classes with volunteering. But his commitment to CU-EMS does not stop him from being active in other areas on campus. Dan is also a CPR teacher, EMT instructor, and member of Phi Gamma Delta, also known as FIJI.

Dan is currently in the process of applying to medical school. He has been accepted to one medical school so far and plans to matriculate in the upcoming fall. After he finishes medical school Dan hopes to join Doctors Without Borders or the Navy.

If you are interested in becoming involved with CU-EMS, you can apply at the beginning of any semester. You can be trained as an EMT at a CU-EMS class or any other city class.    

Elena is a sophomore at Columbia University majoring in English. In her free time, she writes for Her Campus and news for Spectator. She loves New York and her friends.