Confessions of a SWUG: V-Day Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.
Well, it looks like it’s that time of year again. As we search for a way to displace our hatred for winter, we turn instead to sappy cards, pink cupcakes, and tiny conversation hearts, ignoring our salt-stained boots and wind-destroyed hair. As a way to console our winter blues, we dive into a sea of red.
Image via tumblr.com

As I write, Valentine’s Day is about 72 hours away, and only getting closer. And whether or not you have a “special” (or not so-special) someone to celebrate with, Valentine’s Day is probably on your mind. 

After quite a few questions about how to celebrate V-Day in proper SWUG fashion, I have decided to write a guide to the prefect SWUG Style Valentine’s Day. There are only 3 steps, and they can actually be followed quite effortlessly.

1. This may not be common knowledge—but Valentine’s Day is one of the most important drinking days of the year. Before the special day arrives, make sure you and your roommates are fully stocked up on wine. A merlot or cabernet will be satisfactory… However, to ensure true Valentine’s Day success, I would recommend a rose. 

2. Searching for something to pair with that wine? You better be. Because Valentine’s Day is also the perfect day for eating your feelings… I mean… Indulging your sweet tooth. Your first stop should be Mondel’s—which is, as far as I’m concerned, the best chocolate shop in the city. The perfect place to get your SWUG on. After Mondel’s, head uptown to Kitchenette—their sugar cookies and pink cakes will send you right to SWUG heaven.
Image via tumblr.com

3. The third step is quite simple. Spend your day with the people who don’t piss you off. Valentine’s Day is as much about YOU, as it is about your “significant” other. For someone like me, that probably means spending this special day COMPLETELY alone watching Real Housewives of New Jersey. However, for those of you with some emotions left, hang with the people who make you happy.

If you follow this guide, I can ensure Valentine’s Day success. Put the fricking pink and red away, and just eat, drink, and be merry.    
Image via giphy.com