Collegiette Cooking: Xmas Spectacular

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Christmas is all about peace on Earth and goodwill towards [hu]man, right? Well, after the annual stress-frenzy that is final exams, that is. Right now I just feel like strangling my TA and flinging my copy of Kate Turabian’s A Manual for Writers down the shaft. That’s why I’ve specially designated this week’s column for the spreading of (edible) good cheer throughout the ominous halls of Butler, claustrophobic dorm rooms, and silently desperate coffee shops all across the Upper West Side.  Nothing cheers up a study sesh quite like a snack.  Here are a couple of ideas to lighten the mood and remind you of what you’re working towards! 

1. Trader Joe’s Peppermint Bark: This is the stuff you buy to send to relatives but end up sneaking so many pieces for yourself that you can no longer send it. Or is that just me? I can be sure of one thing: nothing quite tastes like Christmas the way peppermint does.

2. Nuts4Nuts Candied Nuts: This one’s obvious. “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire…” You can actually buy roasted chestnuts at many UWS and Midtown food carts, but around campus we just have that beloved, enduring Nuts4Nuts cart that offers peanuts, cashews, and almonds.  For only a few bucks you and your study buddies can enjoy your very own sack of hot and fragrant nuts.

3. A Gingerbread House: Take a break! Pick up some graham crackers, frosting, and candy and get to work. It’s my opinion that the most refreshing breaks from mental work are either physical or creative. Pasting together a gingerbread house will take you back to your grammar school days and reawaken your youthful sense of wonder and excitement.  At the very least, it’s a fun and edible project that’s not too time-consuming for the studious among you.

All the best wishes for final exams and winter break, Collegiettes!