Clement Gelly Rocks – or Post-Donks – WBacchanal 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.
This year, WBAR reached out to the Columbia University student body to find a student opener for WBacchanal. Here’s the guy who rocked Lehman Lawn before Clean Girls and Mannequin Pussy! 

Name: Clement Gelly
Year: CC ’17
Style of music: Post-Donk

When did you start playing music? I took piano lessons from kindergarten until 4th grade – the last teacher I had had a fohawk and I really didn’t like him and I don’t think he liked me. Then I played the saxophone throughout middle school and high school in the concert band, and I added the guitar and contrabass clarinet my junior and senior years.

When did you start writing/producing your own music? In 8th grade I started making music on GarageBand.

Who is your favorite producer right now? Definitely DJ Ghostknob.

Tell us more about the EP, Salvatore’s Paradise, that you released last spring! It is a short album about my time in high school and my friends. It’s autobiographical, as far as something as abstract as instrumental music can be.

Which are you more proud of – your writeup in Bwog for the laundry room DJ set or a French blog covering your EPMasterminding Laundry Room x Hype Merchants 001 was one of my crowning achievements, but I’m probably most proud of my friend Jad’s dad, Samer Mourad, describing my album as “pretty weird.” I think it’s really nice he listened to it. Look out for Laundry Room 002! For more details go to http://www.hiriselaundry.com/.

You were a WBAR DJ last year in the Hype Merchants. Can we catch you on air again this year? You can definitely catch Hype Merchants on air – we will be DJing weekly from 8-10pm on Saturdays. If you listen in and are confused as to why there’s no one called Clement Gelly DJing, it’s because I DJ as my alter-ego Tommy Wine-Product.

Also find Clement at:
Gaby Kirschner

Columbia Barnard

Barnard '16. Writing in NYC.