This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Thousands of conversations later, I’m one month into college. Since I’ve conversed with so many people, I’ve definitely noticed some statements I hear all the time. Here’s a compilation of them…

When you sit next to someone new in class, converse for a bit, and this person says, “Ya, I went to a really competitive high school.”

Getting a test back and someone starts complaining, “I’m so upset. I can’t believe I got a B.”

Entering a club meeting, and being asked, “What are you most passionate about?”

Meeting someone in class and recognizing this person. “Do I follow your Instagram, or maybe I’ve seen you on Facebook?”

When you finish eating dinner with someone, and she tells you “I’m going to go study.”

You open Facebook and see a notification that your friend has tagged you in a meme with the comment “Us!”

When you’re trying to make weekend plans, and you ask someone what they’re up to…

“I have so much work. I have to study.”

When someone says, “I’m so tired. I’m going to go to bed early.” Then this person contradicts herself when she snaps you at 1 A.M., “Late Night Streaks.”

You complain about being anxious, and someone responds with, “Have you been to the counseling office yet?

Rachel Beinus

Columbia Barnard '21

Rachel is a current junior at Barnard College studying history, as well as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Columbia Barnard. Not only does she enjoy writing, but she also loves Myers-Briggs personality types, fashion, and chocolate. 
Sydney Hotz

Columbia Barnard

Sydney is in love with New York City, dogspotting, and chorizo tacos. She's an aspiring novelist, a Barnard feminist, and might deny she was born in New Jersey.