This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

As the wind chills, we say goodbye to New York City’s hot summer filled with coco-mango-cherry from the shaved ice cream cart on Broadway and 114th Street. We enter the autumn season: back to school and cozy weather! September 15th to October 15th marked the start and end of Latine Heritage Month or as some may call it, Hispanic Heritage Month.

East Harlem, Washington Heights, and South Bronx are all known for their vibrant Latino communities, and are all a few train stops away from campus. Exploring the Big Apple can be overwhelming, especially for full-time college students with deadlines and scattered sleep schedules. Keeping a consistent routine, and schedule, and staying on top of assignments can be really difficult, especially during the first few semesters. However, something that always brings me comfort, smiles, and delight is a warm tasty meal. If there is one thing you should routinely treat yourself to, it is a home-cooked, warm, and authentic Latin American dish. Going beyond just the usual tacos and burritos, if you are a foodie or a person who wants to try something new, this article is for you!

I grew up in a Mexican household surrounded by neighbors from South and Central America. It’s safe to say that food, cooking, and exchanging home-cooked meals with my friends and family members is a love language of mine. I remember that at our neighborhood elementary school parties, every child was required to bring a dish of their choice. I was always so excited to see what gems were brought to our classroom table. 

When I moved to college, my tastebuds yearned for the taste of pupusas, empanadas, dulce de leche, elote, and of all the popular street foods my body had grown accustomed to. So, I made it my personal mission to try as many Latin American restaurants near me as possible and share with my friends. 

This Latine Heritage Month, I want to share a piece of my childhood foods, with students who are also far away from home craving a sense of familiarity. These are all my personal and budget-friendly, time sensible, and overall go-to’s when I miss my mother’s cooking. 

El Porton Mexican Restaurant and Bar

First on my list is my first-year favorite: El Porton Mexican Restaurant and Bar located on La Salle St and Broadway. Their extensive menu offers authentic Mexican cuisine, and it is only a 7-minute walk away from campus! 

Ecuatoriana Restaurant

Ecuatoriana Restaurant, located in West Harlem, specializes in grilled dishes. They serve anything from grilled chicken, steak, and even shrimp, and their dishes come with a side of rice and beans. 

El Tina Harlem Restaurant

El Tina Harlem Restaurant is a vibrant, mouthwatering restaurant. They offer comfort food, seafood, and a variety of meat dishes. They have lunch specials from as little as $10 per dish.

Mama Sushi Harlem

Mama Sushi Harlem offers a fusion of Dominican flavors, mixed with the traditional Japanese concept of sushi. This multicultural restaurant offers good vibes, and a whole new meaning to the New York City dining experience. 

Ollin

Ollin in East Harlem is a trendy Mexican restaurant with delicious food and many creative activities. They are known for hosting paint and sips, trendy brunches, and playing Latino bangers. 

Mi Paso

Mi Paso in Washington Heights a highly rated cozy Salvadorian restaurant great for cheap eats and comfort plates such as rice, chicken, steak, and best of all pupusas

Beatstro

Beatstro, located in the Bronx, mixes trendy scenic mixed drinks and a bar feel with Souther and Puerto Rican comfort foods. They offer a variety of dishes, from mac and cheese to basin street jambalaya.

Parilla Latina

Parilla Latina, which translates to Latin Grill, is located in the Bronx. This restaurant takes the cake for just the right mix of comfort food with a funky sports bar atmosphere, perfect for dinner with friends or a night out!

Additionally, if you’re looking for free Latin American cuisine, cultural exchange, and to make new friends, consider joining student organizations such as; Barnard Mujeres, Alianza, Chicanx Caucus, the Student Organization of Latines, and the Caribbean Student Association

Jennifer Guizar Bello

Columbia Barnard '24

My name is Jennifer, I'm a senior at Barnard College majoring in Urban Studies with a concentration in Education. I'm also interested in public health and environmental science!