Can I Really Wear This in Autumn? A Guide to Keep Summer Alive in Your Fall Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

As the seasons change, we find ourselves swapping sundresses for sweaters, wedges for work boots, and donning our autumn best. Putting away the crop tops and shorts in lieu of some more fall-appropriate attire may be necessary, but does the New York chill mean that we have to exile some of our favorite warm-weather trends? Not necessarily: summer styles like floral, neon, white, and pastels can still look great in fall, you just have to know how to balance them.  

White:

The same white blazer that went so well with shorts and a tee can easily make the transition into autumn when coupled with darker colors.

Try pairing a white blazer with black, or dark green for a stark contrast. Better yet, throw it over a neutral sweater dress for an evening look. Accessorize with metallic jewelry, animal print shoes, or a dark hat to make a real statement.

A tip from the experts: a pop of bright lipstick or nail polish can balance the dramatic contrast of a black and white look.

White pants can also look ultra chic in cool-weather.

Pair with browns, greens and flannel to create a ruggedly-chic ensemble, perfect for fall.

A white pant worn with beige or brown-hued tops and knits looks both simple and elegant. Pair with brown leather boots and gold jewelry for an equestrian take on this go-to look.

Exchanging light fabrics such as linen or cotton for heavier ones, like denim, wool, or leather, is a sure way to transition your summer whites into the cooler months ahead.

Neon:

Neon can be hard to pull off in any season, especially fall. With too much neon, and too many colors together, one runs the risk of looking like an Oompa-loompa/Smurf hybrid. The trick is picking just one neon piece for a pop (not explosion!) of color. And do we even have to say it? Neutrals are your best friend here: stick to subtle beiges and blacks.

A bold statement that’s not for the faint of heart, a neon top or skirt can add flair to any look.

For a less dramatic, super-friendly option try just a touch of neon with a bright bag or shoes. Even just a pop – belts, jewelry, etc. – can be enough!

Floral:

Darker florals in shades of red, orange, and brown are perfect for fall. Pair skirts and dresses with chunky sweaters, leather, denim, boots, and tights.

Too cold for skirts? Floral pants in deep burgundy, or hunter-green hues are perfect for fall.  

Pastels:

Last but not least, pastels – pale pinks, mints, etc. – may seem strictly suited for spring. But when coupled with thick sweaters, scarfs, and camel-hued neutrals, pastels can easily transition your wardrobes into the autumn months.

Choosing pastels in thicker fabrics like cable-knit wool can add seasonally-appropriate balance to these typically summer-centric color pallettes.

An all-pastel ensemble layered under a cropped jacket exudes classic uptown flair. Pair with pearls, and you’ve got a brunch-ready ensemble sure to turn heads.

Sofia Lyons

Columbia Barnard

I'm a first year student at Barnard and aspiring fashion journalist, hoping to bring my fellow collegiettes some style tips & info about upcoming trends! I also love singing/songwriting, dancing, event planning, community service, eating good food, and exploring NYC.
Liana Gergely

Columbia Barnard