Campus Celebrity: Columbia Class of 2019 Class President, Sophie Broadbent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

School & class: Columbia College Class of 2019

Major: Economics-Political Science

Hometown: New York City

1. Tell me a little about yourself. What are your favorite hobbies and interests?

Sports games, Broadway shows, playing FIFA. I’m yet to be beaten at Guitar Hero.

2. What did you do this summer?

A finance internship, traveling, and a friend introduced me to Game of Thrones

3. How did you get involved in student council? Why?

I decided to run for office at Columbia simply because I love this school, and I wanted to represent my class with regard to university-wide issues. I also wanted to be involved in making CC 2019’s experience as positive and memorable as possible. I was Class President/Class Representative for all four years of high school, so I knew that this was an activity I definitely wanted to continue in college.

4. Based on your experience, what is your favorite thing about being in student council?

Last year, I was CC Freshman Vice President – my favorite aspect of student council is having the opportunity to coordinate events with various Columbia departments (Student Advising, Career Education, Psychological Services, etc), and to create new initiatives for my class. For example, this year, our council is planning events that focus on improving students’ general well-being and encouraging healthy lifestyle habits. I’ve also persuaded Soul Cycle to donate a ton of free passes to CC ’19  – we’ll be distributing these, amongst other things, at various events this semester. Columbia can be pretty stressful at times, so we hope that such initiatives will have a positive impact on our class!

5. If you could make one impact by the end of your term as Class President, what would it be?

To me, community building is really important – I particularly want to focus on fostering school spirit and supporting our athletes by encouraging attendance at sporting events (which we’ll do in a number of ways). We have such a great class, as is evidenced by the banterous, supportive nature of our class Facebook group! It’s also an incredibly accomplished class – so, I recently started an initiative called ‘Roar of Congrats’ through which our council shares the exceptional extracurricular achievements of fellow CC ‘19 students.

6. Do you have any plans for after your term ends?

A long nap

7. What else are you involved in on campus?  

Mostly CCSC stuff – this year I’m on Policy Committee too (last year I was on Campus Life)

8. Who is your biggest role model?

Irrespective of politics, it would have to be Michelle Obama – she’s extremely intelligent, dignified, and cool

9. If you could have lunch with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?

Justin Bieber – he’s so misunderstood

10. Besides studying and ruling the Sophomore class, what is your favorite thing to do in New York/Columbia for fun?

There’s nothing much better than Mel’s with your friends

11. What is your guilty pleasure?

Chipotle

Catherine Atherton

Columbia Barnard

Student at Barnard College, Columbia University