Campus Celeb: Lorenzo Bradford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Lorenzo Bradford

Year: Junior

School: Columbia College

Major: Political Science and African-American Studies

Hometown: Mesa, AZ

Favorite quote: “You have to act as if it were possible to radically transform the world. And you have to do it all the time.”- Angela Davis

Cannons, The Heights, Mel’s or 1020: Anything but Cannons.

What do you love most about Black History Month?

The unapologetic blackness. All too often black culture is dismissed when it operates outside the boundaries that society attempts to confine blackness into (music, sports, dancing, etc). I love that Black History Month encourages black people to feel comfortable expressing our culture and identities in all aspects of our lives.

What do you wish more people were aware of about Black History Month?

I wish people actively understood that black is beautiful the other 11 months as well. Once March 1st comes around, I feel as though people think black excellence has come and passed when, in actuality, it is 24/7/365 with #anotherone for leap year. Also, I really wish people would stop quoting MLK out of context.

What are your thoughts on the controversy surrounding Beyonce’s Superbowl performance? 

Twas lit. I found it funny that people were attempting to conflate the Black Panthers with the KKK, while simultaneously questioning why we need to have a month devoted to learning about black history.

In light of the #Oscarssowhite protest, what do you think the academy and Hollywood should do to increase diversity in the field?

I was actually just asking my sister this question. She’s a drama student at Julliard and has been all about this push for diversity in film. She was saying that Hollywood might institute something similar to the Rooney rule in the NFL whereby executives will be required to interview at least one minority candidate for positions of power like directors, producers, head of studio etc. Also, lowkey plug: BSO will be hosting a discussion about this on Thursday, Feb. 25th in the Malcolm X Lounge.  

Any events people should know about this month?

The BHM committee has something scheduled almost every day this month so like them on Facebook to find out more (Columbia Black History Month).  Mobilized African Diaspora (MAD) has been doing amazing teach-ins this semester and has more on the way. (like Mobilized African Diaspora on Facebook to stay updated). Also, BSO is a perpetual source of litness: Thursday’s @9pm in the Malcolm X Lounge.

Lastly, who or what inspires you?

Honestly, I would probably say my little brother. It’s really interesting how being someone else’s role model can make you want to become a better person. A close second would be Kanye’s Twitter.

Lily Morris

Columbia Barnard