Burgundy: The New Black

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

This year, it’s time to add a new staple color to your wardrobe. Forget the annual fall tradition of retreating back into your all-black cold weather uniform. Burgundy is this season’s black, serving as a versatile basic you can pair with anything and everything. Burgundy was ubiquitous on fall runways, cropping up everywhere on the runways of all the best designers like Marc Jacobs, Marni , Isabel Marant and many others. For those of us wary of dropping a big chunk of cash on the latest trends, we don’t have to spend our days pining over those expensive designer styles. The gods of fast fashion have heard us and maroon and the other shades of this coveted color are running rampant in the fall catalogs of lower-priced retailers such as H&M and Nasty Gal. Get ready to restock your closet!

Leather:

Always an integral part of any fall collection, leather has been reimagined in burgundy this season rather than in its traditional black and cognac incarnations. The most popular leather items on the runways were pants and jackets. These pieces fit seamlessly into any wardrobe, and the trend can be worn as subtly or extremely as you like. Go full monochrome if you love it or wear one piece to add an easy pop of color to a drab look. Diane Von Furstenberg put out an elegant, trench-inspired coat (photo featured), while Mackage and many other designers reimagined the classic motocross jacket in a deep oxblood. H&M’s fall collection offers almost a full wardrobe of maroon imitation leather pieces, all with price points at salivation-worthy levels ($30-50).

Denim:

Summer’s brightly colored denim gets winterized in burgundy. Adding a pair of wine-colored skinnies to your stash of blue jeans will make your wardrobe feel brand new. Celebrity style setters like Alexa Chung have picked up on the trend, so make sure to get yours before they sell out. One size fits all clothing label Brandy Melville offers a super affordable pair at $27(featured here), and popular cult label Nobody Denim also showed a great high-rise pair in their fall collection. Always ahead of the trends, Rag & Bone combined the leather and denim styles into any fashionista’s dream come true: a pair of oxblood “denim leather” skinnies (featured here) 

Shoes:

Pumps, flats, loafers, booties – shoes of all shapes and sizes have been updated in shades of burgundy. A classic strappy heel or pump given a maroon make over can modernize any look. Even a comfy loafer or ballet flat in a burgundy iteration will bring your look right into fall, fashionably. And if you really want to step into the high fashion ring, try one of the sneaker wedges that have become ubiquitous among off-duty models and fashion editors alike in a deep oxblood shade. 

With all the ways to test out the biggest trend of the season, there’s no excuse not to try it. Start shopping!

Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!