Brunch 101: Morningside Heights Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Everyone loves brunch.  It’s science.  Just maybe not enough to venture below 110th Street to get it.  For those of you too lazy to make the trek to Jacob’s Pickles this weekend, we’re bringing you a comprehensive list of Morningside Heights’ best brunch spots. 

1.     Community

Without a doubt, Community reigns supreme in the MoHi Brunch Hunger Games.  Mostly because it has Michelle Obama’s seal of approval (#neverforget).  Urban legend says that, if you arrive between 8:00 and 9:00 AM on weekdays, you can get their delectable blueberry pancakes, orange juice, and bottomless coffee for just $12.  None of our sources have woken up early enough to confirm, but, if you have any information, please feel free to contact our editors.

2.     Flat Top

Yummy, but expensive.  So basically, the perfect brunch spot to hit up when your parents come to town.  If you’re craving something savory and #carbfree, go for the Spinach Egg White Omelette.  For those of you with more of a sweet tooth, the Greek Yogurt Parfait and the Blueberry Buttermilk Ricotta pancakes won’t disappoint.

3.     Artopolis

If you’re looking for a socially acceptable way to eat chocolate and whipped cream for breakfast, head to Artopolis. The Nutella and Strawberry crepe will change your life (read as: slowly put you in a sugar coma) and their chocolate croissants will ruin all others for you.  Plus, why have a latte when you can have a banana latte smoothie?

4.     Le Monde

For you French toast fanatics, Le Monde arguably serves the best in MoHi.  The Pain Perdu à la Brioche Farcie, which comes stuffed with passion fruit cream and raspberries and topped with syrup, is an absolute must.  Order and gleefully watch as your cholesterol level rises before your very eyes.  

5.     Kitchenette

Community, but with pink polka-dotted decor.  Like Community, Kitchenette has freakishly long waits on the weekends and supposedly offers a discounted breakfast deal for early risers.  But, unlike Community, Kitchenette puts massive marshmallows in their hot chocolate.  Alas, we have reached the reason why Kitchenette made this list. 

6.     In Memoriam: the ‘dam

Before its tragic closing last Wednesday, this cozy bar served up a wide array of unique and delicious favorites, ranging from Peanut Butter and Banana “Stuffed” French Toast to Crème Brulee Hot Chocolate.  Plus, this spot could easily boast the best mimosa deal north of Fred’s on 79th Street.  RIP to the most underrated brunch place in MoHi.  You shall be missed. 

Najet Fazai

Columbia Barnard