Broke Student’s Guide to Traveling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

GETTING THERE

Google Flights is a super easy and helpful resource that is not utilized enough. Given your dates, the website finds flights across airlines and at different times in price order. It makes it super easy to find the cheapest flights.

A website like Kayak is also helpful because it compares all the flights it can find to flights offered at different travel companies. They also can tell you prices for a few days surrounding the dates you select in case you’re flexible! Additionally, there’s a system set up that tells you if you should buy now or wait a little bit since prices might drop.  

Conde Nast Traveller links to Skyscanner which works just like Kayak and Google Flights. The website is also handy if you want to see if you can see even more flight options!

My favorite, though, is a handy little app called Hopper. It works like Kayak and makes price predictions so you know when to buy, but it’s even better! It features a super cute bunny, and it also has a little multicolored calendar that you can use if your dates are flexible. You can look through the year and it will show you green days (cheapest prices), yellow days (average prices), and red days (expensive prices). With this app, you can know which weekend is priced better than others and see how to save $30 by leaving a day earlier.

If airplanes aren’t your speed, Wanderu is a website that has cheap bus and train tickets. They often have the best deals, and it’s super easy to figure the site out. For example, I typed in some dates for transportation to DC on Wanderu, and the website gave me a little notification that there were a lot of people interested in those dates meaning I should buy tickets right way.

We got you to your destination and now comes…

SLEEPING

The Hospitality Club is an online forum of people who like traveling and supporting others. You can find free accommodations all over the world. Through this site, people just open up their homes to travelers. You need to create a profile and become a member to use the website’s services. The site is completely free, though. According to its website, the hospitality club has 815,435 members across 231 countries. These members seem super passionate and enthusiastic about making friends and they  organization doesn’t shy away from exclamation points which I support!!! 

Belodged is similar to the hospitality club. The big difference is that in exchange for getting places to stay, you need to offer accommodation as well. I’m not telling you to bring a stranger in to stay in your dorm. You can actually participate by offering services in the form of a meal or a hot shower. You can find members across 196 countries, so you’ll definitely find a place to sleep. 

Probably one of the better known organizations, Couch Surfing is the most developed service with the best resources. They have a forum where people ask travel question and post about trips they are going on, even if they just want someone to hike with them on a day trip. As a bigger company, they have more safety services and a large group of users offering up their sofas.

Another way to stay somewhere for free is Housesitting. Some people will either pay you a small amount or just have you sit in exchange for a place to sleep. The situation varies with each home so you need to put in some time to find something that works. This website requires a bit more commitment because you often need to show resumes or have references if you’re looking to watch a really nice house. You can check out http://www.luxuryhousesitting.com/ to find listings and for more information. Mind my House works similarly, but it costs $20 per year to be a working member.

If you don’t need free accommodations but are just looking for something cheap, Hostelworld is similar most travel sites, but only features hostels. They work all around the world and find you the best prices and offer reviews. It’s easy to navigate and use.

If you’re a person who prefers glamping to camping, Generator Hostels might be your speed. This company offers super modern, beautiful hostels with plenty of amenities. The prices aren’t too bad either! You can get a shared or private room in Rome for €15-20 a night.

You can also use Willing Workers On Organic Farms (WWOOF) if you like the idea of working for your stay! You can stay at organic farms and help out there in exchange for a bed and meals. It’s an amazing way to learn more about culture and language. You’ll be able to experience a different way of life with a great added bonus of super healthy meals!

Remember, be safe! Check reviews on websites! Make sure people who offer housing have filled out their profile and have a pictures of themselves or their lodging so you know they’re real. Some websites offer verification, which is always good. You can check to see if they’ve linked their Facebook too to give you some extra security.

Now go out and have fun!!!

Michela has recently moved to New York City from the California Bay Area. You can find her trying to soak up as much sun as she can while rocking socks and sandals and guzzling coffee!
Sydney Hotz

Columbia Barnard

Sydney is in love with New York City, dogspotting, and chorizo tacos. She's an aspiring novelist, a Barnard feminist, and might deny she was born in New Jersey.