book fashion plants minimal cactus cacti cool style
Dimi Boutselis / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Have you been looking for something new to read but you’re not sure where to start? How about letting your zodiac sign pick for you? Below are 12 book recommendations from a variety of genres catered specifically to each zodiac sign. I would recommend applying your rising sign to this list because that’s what I used when I was researching, but you can use your sun, moon, or even Venus sign if you’d like; whatever speaks to you the most! If you’re interested in learning more about your zodiac sign, I would recommend checking out Cafe Astrology or Astro.com, which is where I found most of the information I used in this article. Now, on to the recommendations! 

Aries

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Aries natives are loud and direct. They love action and stirring things up, but finishing what they start does not come easy to them. For Aries, I thought a short and action-packed book that would hold their attention the entire time it took to read it would be perfect, so I decided to go with Fight Club. In case you haven’t seen the movie, Fight Club‘s main character is a man tired of the banality of his life and job until he meets Tyler Durden, who starts a fight club with him in the basement of a bar. This book has that competitive element that Aries like, and all of the action in such a short package will mean that they won’t get restless reading.

Taurus

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Taurus loves the finer things in life. They can also be loyal and even somewhat stubborn. For Taurus, I wanted a decadently written book — something that reads like a five-course meal tastes. The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde’s well-known novel about a man who sells his soul to stay eternally young and beautiful, seemed like the obvious choice. Wilde’s prose is elegant and his musings on beauty and youth are fascinating. I think any Taurus would love this novel, especially if it’s a gorgeous edition that will look stunning in their book collection.

Gemini

Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer

Geminis often get a bad rap for being “two-faced,” which is more of a stereotype than a truth. In reality, Geminis are very social and curious. They’re also very clever and crave intellectual stimulation. Because of this, Jeff Vandermeer’s science fiction novel Annihilation seems like the perfect recommendation. Annihilation follows four scientists as they venture into the mysterious Area X, the site of an environmental phenomenon surrounded by a barrier separating it from the rest of the world. This book is fast-paced, incredibly engaging, and even spooky at times. It will keep any Gemini’s curiosity satiated and have them thinking about it long after they finish it.

Cancer

Radio Silence by Alice Oseman

Cancer is the sweetheart of the zodiac. They tend to be quite emotional, they love a good cry, and they are very sensitive to the people around them. For this recommendation, I wanted a gentle writing style, nothing too abrasive or in your face, and a book featuring a strong friendship because Cancers really value their connections with others. So I went with Radio Silence, a YA contemporary about a girl named Frances, who is about to enter her first year of university and finds herself conflicted about what to do with her life. That is, until she meets Aled, the creator of her favorite podcast, and forms a strong friendship with him. Radio Silence is one of my favorite books of all time, and I would highly recommend it to anyone, but especially to Cancers.

Leo

Emma by Jane Austen

Leos are very magnetic people: they’re the perfect combination of outgoing and alluring that attracts others. They enjoy drama, and their romantic partners also know that they love attention and grand gestures. For this book recommendation I wanted to pick something dramatic and exciting, and even a little romantic. I ended up with Emma. Emma follows Emma Woodhouse, a self-proclaimed matchmaker who entangles herself in the affairs of the people in her society, to disastrous results. Leos, even if they’re intimidated by Jane Austen, will find something to love in Emma and the drama she gets herself into.

Virgo

Southland by Nina Revoyr

As a Virgo sun myself, I feel especially qualified to tell you that Virgos are intelligent and analytical. We notice every detail, no matter how small. A mystery novel seemed to be the obvious choice for this recommendation, so I decided to go with my favorite lesser-known title, Southland. The story follows a young woman named Jackie Ishida after her grandfather Frank’s sudden death. In the novel, she tries to uncover the mystery behind what happened to Curtis Martindale, a boy that died during the 1960s Watts Riots in Los Angeles and who was left a large sum of money in her grandfather’s will. The novel flips between time periods, going from Jackie’s perspective to Frank’s, and is an incredibly engaging mystery that is criminally underrated.

Libra

The Sympathizer by Viet Thahn Nguyen

Libras are kind and charming. They have a tendency to maintain balance and harmony. Sticking with the theme of balance, I wanted to recommend a book that had a good balance between drama and comedy, something both serious and funny. I also thought a morally gray main character would appeal to Libras. I decided to go with The Sympathizer. This is a historical fiction novel that follows a Communist double agent spying on the American army during the Vietnam War. After the fall of Saigon, he travels to America as a refugee and tries to assimilate to his new environment. This book is clever and engaging, and the main character’s internal dialogue is so hilarious it almost makes you forget how serious the plot is. 

Scorpio

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Scorpio is my rising sign, so I promise I’m not being biased when I say that Scorpios are powerful, sometimes in an intimidating way. They’re either loved or hated, but either way they get attention. For my fellow Scorpios I wanted something with strong, powerful characters and a compelling story. I finally settled on The Mists of Avalon, a fantasy novel about the Arthurian legends told from the perspective of the women involved in King Arthur’s story. The novel centers on Morgan le Fay, traditionally seen as the villain of the legends. It shows how her story has been twisted and manipulated by the men that have told it. This book is a brilliant and beautiful read, and as a Scorpio rising, it is very close to my heart. 

Sagittarius

Kill The Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky

Sagittarius natives are adventurous and easily excitable. They also always like to keep things light, try to crack jokes, and stay positive even when things are dark. For this reason, I thought a dark comedy might be something they would enjoy, and one of my favorite dark comedies ever is Kill the Boy Band. This is a YA novel about four friends who are so obsessed with a boy band that they get a hotel room in the hotel they know the band is staying in. One of the friends runs into one of the members of the boy band in the hallway and kidnaps him. From there, things fly off the handle. This book is hilarious and dark at the same time, and I think its spirit is something that Sagittarius would love.  

Capricorn

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Capricorns are very responsible and hardworking. They also tend to value their family and the people close to them. Considering they tend to care deeply about their loved ones, I wanted to recommend a book involving strong family ties. I also wanted something very grounded and raw, with a determined main character to whom Caps could relate. There probably aren’t many people out there that haven’t read The Hate U Give already, but in case you haven’t and you’re a Capricorn, you should check it out. This is a YA contemporary about Starr, a young Black woman whose best friend is shot by the police while they are together. This book has gotten so much well-deserved attention these past few years and is an amazing read.

Aquarius

Pet by Akwaeke Emezi

Aquarians are individualistic and likable. They are very unique thinkers and focus a lot on the future. For this reason, I thought they would like a utopian or dystopian book. I also wanted to recommend something a little quirky and outside of the box, just like them! Pet, a recent read of mine, fits all those categories. This is a YA utopian novel about a girl named Jam who lives in a town where all evil has been destroyed. This is until one night when she awakens a creature that her mother painted, who enlists Jam in a hunt for a “monster” living in Jam’s best friend’s house. This book is very bizarre but incredibly compelling, and also has a lot of very interesting things to say about evil and its place in our society.

Pisces

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sàenz

Pisces are sweet, dreamy, and artistic. They’re also the open-minded, “go with the flow” type of people. For them, I wanted something gentle, similar to Cancer, and a book that would also channel their dreamy, artsy vibe. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe was the obvious choice. This is a YA contemporary about two boys who meet and become very close over the course of a summer. The writing is beautiful and artistic, and the plot is gentle and cozy. Reading this book feels like getting a hug, which is something I think all Pisces need.

Francesca DeGiorgio

Columbia Barnard '24

Francesca (she/her) is a sophomore at Barnard College majoring in English and minoring in History. She's originally from Los Angeles, California. She loves reading, writing, astrology, and watching way too much tv.