Best Way to Wear Sequins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

The holidays are fast approaching, and you know what that means. ‘Tis the season for sequins! Whether you’re going to a holiday party, a family dinner, or just your last few classes, there’s always a way to add some chic shine to any outfit.

Dresses

The sequined bodycon dress is a party classic. Always an option for a night out, this dress is a surefire choice if you’re looking to impress. However, it’s all too easy to end up looking trashy in your tight sparkly number. Designers this season offered up sequined dresses in a multitude of fun new iterations that are just as appropriate for a family holiday party as for a night out downtown. From drop waist to shift to high-low styles, there’s an option for every sensibility. And if you don’t want to let go of your favorite bodycon dress, three quarter sleeve versions make sure to keep you safely in classy territory.

Sweater

If you don’t want to sacrifice comfort for fashion, a sequined sweater is the perfect solution when a look needs some brightening up. Pair with heels and a skirt and you’re party ready, or dress it down with jeans and flats for a casual occasion. With options ranging from monochrome to sequined graphics to studs, don’t worry.  This is definitely not your grandmother’s Christmas sweater. 

Collar

Hot off the fall runways, sequin collars are making waves in the fashion world. A favorite trend of fashion bloggers like Rumi Neely and Tavi Gevinson, the sequin collar is the easiest way to take any outfit from bland to edgy in one fell swoop. Wear it over anything from a silk blouse for a sophisticated look or a graphic tee to add some rebel edge.   

Blazer

For this holiday season, the classic blazer has been reimagined – and doused in sequins. If you want to stay warm (-ish, I admit I can’t promise too much warmth from a jacket made of sequins) while still adding something fun to your look, a sequin blazer does the trick. Even better, throwing on one of these can take almost any outfit from flat to formal.    

Nail Polish

If you want to partake in the sequin trend without letting go of too much cash, you can pick up some sparkling nail polish for under twenty bucks at the nearest drugstore. This is a great option for anyone who wants to test drive the trend without being too risky. Sparkly nails are a subtle way to add a hint of fun to your most blah outfit. 

With all these options, how can you say no? Get in the holiday spirit and throw on something sequined! 

Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!