Best Study Spots On (and Off) Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Welcome to campus, First-Years! Though this syllabus-filled first week of classes might seem like an auspicious start to a semester full of classes ending early sans assignments, it is not in any way indicative of the workload that is soon to come. As such, we’re here with a guide to pleasant places where you can hunker down and dive into your schoolwork in the least stressful way possible. Here’s to delaying entry into Butler Library as much as possible!

Hungarian Pastry Shop, 1030 Amsterdam Ave (Between 111 and 110)

If you enjoy a dull hum of conversation while you work, head on over to this, the coziest of cozy coffee shops. This sacred spot doesn’t have Wifi, so you can avoid that tendency to find your way to obscure Buzzfeed quizzes while working with access to the Internet. That being said, you don’t want to go here when you’re researching for a paper either. Just grab your printed readings, order a cup of coffee that comes with free refills, and tuck into a corner. All one could ask for, truly.

NoCo, 550 west 120th

Though you will be swiftly turned away if you’re toting a coffee into this library above Joe, it’s worth either tossing it or chugging it. This study spot is light and open and boasts booth-like study nooks where you can spread out all of your supplies without getting dirty looks from your neighbors.

NYPL, 5th Ave at 42nd St. and 2900 Broadway

Definitely the most gorgeous of your study space options here in NYC, and certainly worth the subway fare.  Even if you can’t make it down to the iconic location in Midtown, there’s one right on 114th and Broadway where you can sign up for a library card and find a nice quiet place surrounded by all the free books you could ever check out.

Brooks Lounge, Barnard Quad

The dark wood interior plus the huge armchairs will make you feel super luxe and distract you from the mundanity of day in and day out schoolwork. Plus, if you’re lucky, one of your musically-inclined peers might start practicing in the piano lounge next door.

Irving Farm Coffee House, 224 West 79th St.

Complete with a nice big communal table and comfy booths in the back, this spot is set up so you can spread out while you diligently whittle down your workload. Though this place doesn’t offer wifi, their coffee and Balthazar pastries will help wean you off of your social media addiction.

Altschul Atrium, Barnard Campus

Altschul, the building right across from Diana on Barnard’s campus, has a light-filled first floor lounge. The atrium is sometimes reserved for events but is more often filled with students lounging on armchairs and couches as they plug away at assignments.