This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

This fall, whether you’re ~Netflix-and-chilling~, avoiding seminar reading, or snuggling up on a rainy day, you’ll never run out of great shows to watch. Here are some of my favorite shows returning from a long hiatus:

You’re the Worst (September 9)

Yes, this show already premiered—but it is so worth your while. This unpredictable, lively romcom is centered around two pretty terrible people you can’t help but root for. This season, Jimmy and Gretchen move in together and continue to bond over their hatred of everything.

The Mindy Project (September 15)

I honestly considered penning an angry letter to Fox when they cancelled this gem of a show, but, thankfully, Hulu revived one of my all time favorite comedies. Having already seen episode 1, I can hardly wait for a new season of amazing guest stars, (@Joseph Gordon Levitt), Morganmoments, Baby Lahiri-Castellano, and (spoiler alert) Mindy and Danny’s wedding! Let’s hope Beyonce or Tina Fey makes an appearance. Long live Mindy!

Empire (September 23)

“Empire” was one the biggest breakout hits of last year, with an all-star cast full of newcomers and industry legends. With incredible music, ridiculous(ly awesome) drama, and a family that won’t quit on the quest to power and fame, “Empire” is sure to be a hit the second time around. Let’s hope there’s no sophomore slump.

Nashville (September 23)

Country’s favorite soap returns to ABC to resolve several cliffhangers (who flatlined? What will happen to Juliette and Avery? Why is Layla still on the show?) with tons of drama and catchy songs. Tune in to my personal favorite guilty pleasure on September 23rd.

#TGIT (aka: Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away With Murder) (September 24)

Shonda Rimes, that cruel queen, surely has more addictive drama—and pain—in store for us this season. Who will she kill off this year? As always, have a bottle of wine and a box of tissues handy.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (September 28)

As a die-hard fan of Jon Stewart, I was devastated to see him go. But after watching videos of Trevor Noah’s standup, as well as his Netflix special, I’m excited to see him give hosting this beloved show a try. Tune in to see him give the show his own spin.

The Leftovers (October 4)

Season two of this phenomenal show sees Kevin, Nora, Matt and co move to a “miracle” town in Texas—a town that didn’t lose a single person during the Great Departure. Kevin moves his family for a fresh start, but as we all know, there’s no such thing as a fresh start on TV—is there? This season also adds Regina King and Kevin Carroll to its all-star cast.

The Flash (October 6)

Grant Gustin, new superheroes, and new villains. Always a crowd pleaser. Get excited for a whole new season of Barry Allen.

American Horror Story: Hotel (October 7)

This season of Ryan Murphy’s Emmy and Golden Globe winning hit has been described as especially bloody, creepy, and sexy. Set in a hotel with favorites Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulson, and Evan Peters, as well as stars like Angela Basset, Darren Criss, and Lady Gaga, we’re surely in a for a wild and, well, bloody ride.

Jane the Virgin (October 12)

And, last but certainly not least, the show I am most excited about: “Jane the Virgin”! Season 1 ended on a major cliffhanger, so here’s to hoping that Baby Mateo is returned safe and sound. This show mixes classic telenovela antics, comedy, and drama exceptionally.  Gina Rodriguez is a delight and the cast has undeniable chemistry. I, for one, can’t wait for more! 

Rhys Lewis

Columbia Barnard