This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Now that it’s finally spring, I’m ready to get my tan on. Hear me out – I know “tanning” is a dirty word these days – but I’m not talking about a bed; I need a place to lay out and soak up some real-life sunshine. Who doesn’t want a summer glow and some much-needed vitamin D? It can be hard to find a place to lay out, considering we live in Manhattan, but there are some spots (both free, and pricey) to relax and let the rays do the rest.

1. Sheep Meadow, Central Park

Sheep Meadow is an open, 15-acre field in the middle of Central Park right near 65th street where you can lay out with other New Yorkers desperate for unadulerated sunshine – on a typical spring Sunday afternoon, you can find people picnicing, playing frisbee with their dogs, or straight up laying out in swim suits, so don’t feel self conscious – gotta do what you’ve gotta do, right?

2. Pier 45

Pier 45, right at Christopher St. and the Hudson River, literally advertises sunbathing on their webpage, so trust me when I tell you you won’t be the only one with a swimsuit and towel. They have an interactive water feature, and it’s near the water (albeit it’s the Hudson…) so tanning feels at least marginally more appropriate than in Central Park. Plus during the summer they have free concerts on Friday evenings!

3. Midtown Holiday Inn

Tanning at a public NYC park not your thing? The Midtown Holiday Inn opens up its rooftop pool from 10 AM – 6 PM daily for $60 – the price includes a locker, but bring your own towel and lock!

4. McCarren Hotel Williamsburg

Okay so this one technically isn’t in Manhattan, but similar to the Holiday Inn Midtown, King and Grove opens up it’s huge outdoor saltwater pool to the public from 11 AM – 9 PM daily for $45 Monday-Thursday or $55 Friday-Sunday, which includes a towel and WiFi access. It may be a trek, but it seems worth the extra half hour journey at such a low price. Plus you have the option to purchase poolside snacks or cocktails! NOTE: It gets crowded reeeeaaallly quickly on weekends, so go early!

5. The Highline

Warning: people will look at you if you’re in a swimsuit because that’s weird. Go in shorts and a tank if you’re trying to get sun. On the bright side, it’s right off the 1 and the views are beautiful. Plus they have great food, ice cream, and coffee during the day and you can go shopping or grab dinner at Chelsea Market afterwards.

Sofia Lyons

Columbia Barnard

I'm a first year student at Barnard and aspiring fashion journalist, hoping to bring my fellow collegiettes some style tips & info about upcoming trends! I also love singing/songwriting, dancing, event planning, community service, eating good food, and exploring NYC.