This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

The official month of style kicked off this past week in none other than our lovely home of New York City. Shows were held all around the city from beautiful sunbathed SoHo Lofts to the runways at the Mercedes Benz Theater in Lincoln Center. If you had your face in a book all last week, don’t worry girl, we got you. Here’s the top five moments from NYFW coming right at ya.

1. Wildest Show

If you thought twerking queen Miley was at her best (worst?) at last year’s VMA’s, then you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. She paired up with bestie Jeremy Scott (i.e. the man who made winged Adidas sneakers a thing) for his Spring 2015 show. Filled with enough flower power and fluorescent brights to reincarnate Coachella, this show was not one for the faint of heart and lover of neutral tones.

2. The Grass is Always Greener on the Fashion Side

While “the green” might have been reserved exclusively for golfers and country club goers in the past, Thom Brown forged new ground and made grass his runway for his Ready-To-Wear collection.  Classic silhouettes were cast into the world of the wild and wacky, with the end result falling somewhere between a two-piece rainbow parachute ensemble and a pastel three piece suit that makes us feel like we’re meeellting.

3. Where My Dogs At?

Those cone things your dog wears after a visit to the vet aren’t just for puppies anymore. Street wear brand Hood By Air took to the runway, great dane in hand, with oversized clear plastic collars that could double for a restraining device and a variety of denim options from orange, to black, to über destroyed. HBA has me like :) (are those shorts or…) :(.

4. Breath of Fresh Air

What better way to kiss summer goodbye than an evening by the fountain in Central Park? And if you’re Ralph Lauren, then you invite the fashion community to join you as you throw down on the lake. A 4D holographic runway event/water spectacle showcased the Polo Ralph Lauren collection with models strutting down the Brooklyn Bridge and beloved Highline Park. Well done, Ralph. Ladies, you got to see it to believe it.

5. One Act Wonder

Fashion Week at Lincoln Center took center stage, literally, at the Metropolitan Opera for Opening Ceremony’s Spring Ready-To-Wear collection. Presented as a one act play titled: “100% Lost Cotton”, the plot involved a model casting and upcoming runway show. There were moments of friendship, love, and, of course, hilarious commentary on the fashion industry (“Her legs are making this skirt look terrible,” he shrieks. “Can we get her new legs?”). Oh, and the clothes were pretty sick too, with pastel colored neoprene asymmetric skirts and jackets.

High five for unconventional creativity, OC!

Abigail Kim

Columbia Barnard

Lover of modern and contemporary art with a curiosity in fashion