This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

With finals everywhere we look, I know it’s easy to get caught up with everything that is going on in the classroom. But if you’re ever feeling too overwhelmed, a museum trip can be a great way to rewind and take a breather. This past weekend, I went to both the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the Met) and the American Museum of Natural History and saw some special exhibits, which led me to do research on some other museums that currently have short-term exhibits. Here’s what I found:

1. The Museum at FIT: “Pink: The History of a Punk, Pretty, Powerful Color”

This exhibit features the role of the color pink in shaping America’s gender divisions, politics, and popular culture. Exhibit closes on January 5, 2019.

2. The Met: “Shady Ladies of the Met Museum”

Curious about the inspiration behind some of the world’s most well-known artwork? Go to the Met to discover the muses of Greek and Venetian poets and artists. Exhibit closes on January 27, 2019.

3. The Frick Collection: “The Charterhouse of Bruges: Jan van Eyck, Petrus Christus and Jan Vos”

The related masterpieces of Jan van Eyck and Petrus Christus are on display  together for the first time in 25 years and the second time in the history of their existence. The panels were commissioned by Carthusian monk Jan Vos in the 1440s. Come see exceptional artwork on the historical depictions of Biblical figures such as the Virgin Mary. Exhibit closes on January 13, 2019.

The good news is that with student IDs, most of these museums can be accessed for free or at a discounted prices. Even if you can’t make the trip during finals, I recommend visiting at least one of these special exhibits during or after winter break. I promise it’ll be worth it!

Grace Lim

Columbia Barnard '22

I am a first year at Columbia University studying sociology and east asian languages and cultures. In my free time, I enjoy cafe hopping and trying all things green tea!