This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

The end of the semester goes hand-in-hand with formals, and everyone looked beautiful at their formal events last week. For many, formal means looking for that perfect LBD. For some, formal means looking for the perfect LBD with lace. For others, formal means looking for the perfect LBD cutouts. While every LBD style is incredible and perfect for formal, this season we loved four styles in particular.

1. THE JUMPSUIT

It started with the romper, aka: the onsie for college girls and/or festival attendees. When Emma Watson wore a stunning white jumpsuit to the British Fashion Awards a few years ago, we knew that our romper days were forever incomplete without the romper’s big sister–the more elegant, polished, sophisticated jumpsuit. We were hooked. Jumpsuits have impecable necklines, often plunging and showstopping. You can show a little bit more off on top because the bottom has a concealing, slim, flattering leg (ending above the ankle to expose those runway worthy shoes). The best part about a jumpsuit is that you don’t have to worry about anything going wrong when you get out of the cab. The second best part of a jumpsuit is that you get to look like a red carpet model.

2. THE TWO-PIECE SET

You can’t walk into a store without seeing a two-piece set these days. We love croppy tops paired with circle skirts. Circle skirts are so fun and girly, but edgy at the same time when you wear them with a perfectly matching top. The best part? You get to re-wear each piece separately as part of other outfits! Pair the circle skirt with a white t-shirt or the top with high-waisted jeans.

3. THE LONG HEM

Just like the jumpsuit, we love the allure of covering up just a tiny bit more. There is something so graceful in a flowing below-the-knee hem. What is more fun than a dress that also has a hidden slit when you move? Flowing, silky dresses are the perfect summer essentials that can easily be worn with glittering flat sandals for a more casual, evening summer night (here on Barnard junior Alexa Fleet).

4. THE SLEEVE

We love the cuteness of a little cap sleeve, and it’s such a great way to stand out from the typical tank bodycon dress.