A Beginner’s Guide to Bubble Tea To Feel the Love on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Valentine’s Day season is a time for love and sweetness. As a bubble tea lover, I have fond memories of sharing a cup of bubble tea with close friends and family members. The sweetness comes not only from the drink but also from the time of the year. Here’s a starter guide to some drinks to make you feel the love and sweetness at Coco and Gong Cha, two places to get bubble tea in Morningside Heights!

Bubble and Milk Tea from Coco 

Signature Bubble Tea 

If this is your first time trying bubble tea then this is a traditional and classic drink that offers a great start to your bubble tea journey. 

Lava Pearl Jasmine Bubble Tea 

This type of bubble tea deviates from the classic bubble tea in the tea-style used. It also includes black sugar as a key ingredient. In this case, the jasmine offers a tender mixture to the bubble tea’s sweetness and makes the drink richer in its flavor. 

Thai Bubble Tea

Don’t be frightened by the orange color. The Thai bubble tea is a sweet drink that is a viable choice when meeting with friends or trying out different bubble tea flavors. It differs from the classical bubble tea by offering a stronger sugary taste.  

“2 Ladies” Bubble Tea 

If you are unsatisfied with only having tapioca bubble and instead want a bit more flavor, this drink is for you. Not only do you get to savor the tapioca bubble, but pudding is also added. 

“3 Guys” Bubble Tea 

Like the “2 Ladies”, this is a step up from the basic drinks. This drink has the addition of grass jelly, a black colored, dessert-like food that can be eaten by itself or inside drinks. 

You could also choose other milk tea flavors such as taro, vanilla, or caramel to customize your drink! Then, add the toppings of your choice. 

Tea Series and Creative Mixes from Gong Cha 

Lychee Oolong Tea 

If you are a fan of lychee, then try this lychee oolong. The drink offers a unique mix of the refreshing oolong tea with the sweetness from lychee fruit at the same time. It’s a perfect drink for spring and summertime. 

Lemon Ai-Yu with White Pearl 

If you like pearls but not the tapioca bubble, then try the white pearl. The lemon gives a sour taste, but don’t worry, the sourness doesn’t linger! It mixes with a softer sweetness that lightens the lemon’s anticipated sourness. 

Lemon Winter Melon with Basil Seeds 

At first glance, it seems complicated to imagine mixing winter melon with lemon and basil seeds, but the final product is unexpectedly tasty. I would recommend this drink after a big meal or when you need something light and refreshing. It’s not too sweet nor too bitter. 

Milk Foam Green Tea 

The milk foam in this drink blends well with the green tea, giving it a unique taste. If you are not a fan of classic bubble tea, try the milk foam and milk tea series to balance the tea selection. Gong Cha (and many bubble tea stores) offer various teas to select from, so feel free to try them out and find what you like best! 

These are only some of the many options to select from, but I hope this offers some guidance to the choices you have during Valentine’s Day. They’re perfect to have and share with family, friends, and loved ones who love bubble tea!

Lily Cai

Columbia Barnard '23

Lily is a sophomore at Barnard College, intending to double major in economics and computer science. Apart from school, she loves trying out new food and cuisines. She also enjoys listening to music, reading books, and watching Netflix. Lily would love to meet new people and feel free to reach out to her!