This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

The blinding clock on your phone stares back at you, taunting you as you lose minute after minute of sleep. You have a 10:10 AM class tomorrow, which is not deadly, but can be lethal if enough sleep is not had. However, the tantalizing opportunity for conversation, a good movie, or even a late-night baking session is too tempting to pass up.

The pleasure that will come out of choosing to take these opportunities is the beauty of losing sleep. The next day might be harder as you fight to keep your eyes open, but it will be so worth it. You will not remember the nights when you went to bed early, but you will remember the marvelous conversation with a friend or the beauty of the plot of movies like Inception or Lady Bird

Now, I must admit, I am biased. I am a hopeless night owl who feels that she has wasted a day when she goes to bed before midnight. But I think I’m right. The best things happen after midnight. That is when the filters go away and the true essence of humanity comes out to play. 

I live for the nights when I am so engrossed in a conversation, then look at the clock and exclaim, “Oh my goodness it’s 4 AM!” Even if I am on bad terms with the people who I once would gladly lose sleep for, I have no regrets. Those conversations fueled me in the moment, and they can be your fuel too. 

However, this is not my only fuel. I often get my second wind around midnight when many of my friends are asleep. This is when I decide to be spontaneous and bake three types of cookies, dress up in intimidating clothes to get a McFlurry from McDonalds, or redesign my bedroom. It is in these moments that I am able to reflect on who I am. I can reflect on my roots and desires with only the sounds of the city to distract me. 

These spontaneous activities will look different for everyone. For some, it may be watching a thought-provoking movie, while for others it may be mastering winged eyeliner, something I have only dared to try, but never found success with. Whatever this activity may be, it will be worth losing a little sleep over. 

Some may say that you can do these things throughout the day, but in the glow of the twilight, they have their own magic and appeal. This is an indisputable fact. Those who choose to ignore it must find the beauty of dawn superior. Nevertheless, the shadows of the twilight are unlike anything in this world.  

So I ask you. Try it! Lose some sleep. I promise you won’t regret it. However, if you do wake up the next morning, flinching at the sound of your alarm clock, a big cup of coffee can solve all your problems. It will be worth it. 

Bella Druckman

Columbia Barnard '24

Hi! My name is Bella Druckman, and I am a freshman at Barnard majoring in English and Human Rights. I’m from Chicago, but love the big city of New York. I love to bake - especially cookies - and share those goodies with my friends. When I’m not taking photos, or crafting, you can find me fighting for social justice or spreading my kindness through the world.