An Autumn-y Escape: Day Trip to Cold Spring, NY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Everyone needs a getaway once in a while. With midterms encroaching on our free time, fall break thankfully exists to help us relieve some of that exam stress and even leave the Morningside Heights bubble. My favorite day trip is to Cold Spring, NY. It is the perfect way to soak in everything autumn in New York has to offer.

Luckily, Cold Spring is just a stop away on the Metro North, so the ticket at Grand Central is affordable and can fit easily into your schedule, as a train leaves every hour.

Once you get off the train at Cold Spring, I recommend brunch or breakfast (or any meal, really) at the cafe and market called Hudson Hil’s located at 129-131 Main Street.

You can then browse in a handful of one-of-a-kind vintage stores, varying from kitschy antiques to high end, small batch clothing. I recommend stopping into Split Rock Books at 97 Main Street. It is like a scene out of Gilmore Girls, and you’ll be exposed to so many books you just can’t find at Butler or Avery.

If you have a car and/or some time to spare, the ultimate fall activity is walking around the pumpkin patch and apple orchard at Fishkill Farms nearby. The apple cider, doughnuts, and apple cider ice cream are to die for. Even if it’s freezing cold outside, still get the ice cream — you won’t be sorry.

Emily Blake

Columbia Barnard '22

I am a sophomore at Barnard College and the editor-in-chief of WednesdayZine.com . I love fashion, wellness, and arguing how much Clueless and Legally Blonde are influential to American culture. Follow me on Instagram for food pictures and Sex and The City quotes, mostly, @alienemz