This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

For some, joining a sorority is an inherent part of their college years. For others, it may seem like a silly extracurricular that, according to most films, only consists of going to parties and events with other Greek organizations.

When I first came to college, I wasn’t sure what to think. My only knowledge of Greek life here was given to me by upperclassmen whom I admired. One of my friends told me how it transformed her college experience and spoke proudly about her leadership responsibilities within her sorority. All I knew was that I wasn’t quite satisfied socially at Columbia and was looking for a way to meet more people and to make this campus feel more like a home.

I can tell you that three years later, I can confidently say that going through recruitment was the best decision I’ve made in college thus far. My family members often ask me about why I went through recruitment and the benefits that come with being a member of a Greek organization. In short, joining a sorority helped me feel like I was an integral part of the Columbia community. I’ve met so many wonderful individuals from various backgrounds and with many different interests. It has provided me with study buddies, mentors, career advisors, and forever friends. Columbia can be stressful and overwhelming, but I wouldn’t trade my time here for anything. Truthfully, I am not sure I would have been able to say that had it not been for Greek life. So my advice? Try it. You have nothing to lose and you may even come out of it pleasantly surprised. I know I did!