This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

This summer, I got sucked into the black hole that is #BookTok. My feed was taken over by book recommendations of all kinds of genres, practically forcing me to go to the nearest bookstore and drop all my money on them. Seriously, why the hell are books so expensive?

When I was little, my mom would just dump me in a Barnes and Nobles while she went out shopping. As a kid, I was more than happy to sit in a corner and read. I’m still the same way, except now, I have to remember to limit the time and money I spend there. I take frequent trips to the Barnes and Nobles at Union Square. Out of the four in the city, this one’s by far my favorite. It’s absolutely beautiful, with big windows that overlook the park and allow sunlight to stream in on every floor. Time flies by in those shelved aisles and I could easily spend hours there browsing for books. 

I’ve bought and read too many books in the past few months, but here are my top three recommendations…

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

A beautiful coming-of-age story about two Mexican-American teenagers who couldn’t be more different, but still somehow form an unbreakable bond. The sequel, Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World, is coming out this October 12th! 

On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong 

One of the best books I’ve ever read. Written as letters from a Vietnamese-American son to his mother who cannot read, this book explores the confines of race, class, and masculinity. It is actually very similar to Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, so if you enjoyed that one, be sure to check this one out. 

No longer Human By Dazai Osamu 

Semi-autobiographical, No Longer Human was Osamu’s final completed work before he took his own life. The book captures recurring themes in the author’s life, including depression, suicide, and social alienation, and his fear of revealing his ‘true self.’ It ranks as the second best-selling novel ever in Japan.  

When BookTok is not recommending novels that will absolutely break my heart, it is shoving spicy fantasy books down my throat. I spent the summer getting lost in worlds of Faeries, magic, and crazy power-trips. Specifically, the ACOTAR and Cruel Prince series. #BookTokMadeMeDoIt. What can I say? I’m a sucker for a good enemies-to-lovers story. 

Now, every time I enter a Barnes and Nobles, I always beeline towards the BookTok stand just to see what’s there and then inwardly cry because I know I can’t afford to buy any more books. And now that school has started, I won’t have as much time to read either. 

Pain.  

Currently Reading: The 7 Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

Angela Tan

Columbia Barnard '24

Angela is a Chinese-American freshman at Barnard, where she wants to major in psychology and minor in education. She loves baking although she's not very good at it and enjoys talking about horror movies, Taylor Swift, and her dog Oreo.