This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Taking notes in class is key to achieving the grades you want, and with midterms approaching, it’s doubly important to document lecture material thoroughly and in an effective manner. Here are 7 tips to help you take your best notes.

handwrite

Although both jotting notes by hand and typing them on a computer get the job done, many studies have shown that handwritten notes are more effective when it comes to memory retention. In fact, “writing by hand forces your brain to process information in a more detailed way, which helps you successfully load that information into your memory.” However, because lectures are often fast-paced, taking notes digitally during class and re-writing them, or summarizing the main ideas, afterwards on paper may be helpful. 

organize

Organizing your class notes can feel tedious, but doing so will prove advantageous in the long run. If the act of organizing your notes while taking them seems too overwhelming, try doing so after class, instead. Dedicating time to organizing your notes each week will make it much easier to comprehend them by the time exams roll around. Arranging notes by themes or specific topics can work to create a mental map in your brain; grouping similar information ideas together will take up less mental space. 

keep it concise

Keep your notes concise and clear, and don’t just copy down what your professor says. Not only will being concise allow you to record all of the information you need to keep track of, but it is much easier to remember small bits of information rather than long, winding sentences. Take note of key terms, phrases, names, and dates and don’t belabor all the miniscule details. 

write questions

When a question about the material arises in your mind, write it down, and make sure to, at some point, get an answer. Although these questions may not be at the forefront of your thoughts by an exam date, the fact that you had them at some point means that they might trip you up on a test. When reviewing your notes, make sure you can answer all the questions you had when taking notes. 

be consistent with format

easily. Maintaining the same structure of note-taking each day can also be beneficial in completing the act itself. You are likely to write notes faster and more efficiently if you have a pre-established system, especially if you have a corresponding key or similar classification method. 

use diagrams or charts

Visually plotting out your notes with images or diagrams may help with mental association, making it easier to retrieve specific pieces of information from your memory on test day. Concept maps like Venn diagrams, flow charts, or thought bubbles, which illustrate relationships between ideas, are especially helpful for visual learners. Also, color coding has been found to affect a higher level of attention and improve memory. 

summarize

Summarizing each class in a brief sentence or two in your own words may make it easier to recall information later on. Much of what is said in lecture isn’t necessarily note-worthy, so working to parse out what is most important is conducive to retaining the most useful material. Professors often begin and end lectures with brief summaries of the concepts discussed, so make sure to pay extra attention during this.

Alice Rodi

Columbia Barnard '25

From Lyme, New Hampshire, Alice is a first year at Barnard College hoping to study linguistics and anthropology. She loves reading, spending time outdoors, cooking, petting dogs, and, of course, writing!