This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

If you’ve been doing the most for your skin, but just can’t seem to achieve that perfect glow, this is the article for you. These are some simple mistakes you could be making that can be easily fixed and get you back on track to taking glowing Instagram pics. 

Exfoliating too much.

If you exfoliate once a day, that’s more than enough! Exfoliating daily can strip your skin of its natural oils and remove your natural glow. If you wash your face with an exfoliant every day, maybe rotate it with a cream cleanser every other day. You shouldn’t be exfoliating more than three times a week.

Sitting in your sweaty clothes.

If you are an active person, your sports bra may be the cause of your chest and back acne. Realistically, you shouldn’t have your exercise clothes on for more than five minutes after working out. Once you’re back in your room, CHANGE! And definitely don’t re-wear a workout outfit more than once. 

Leaving hair conditioner in for too long.

If you suffer from backne, conditioner might be the cause. Conditioner gets into the pores of your skin, and since your hair mostly hits your back, it causes the most issues there. Leaving your conditioner in for a long time might seem like a good idea, but it actually should be rinsed out about 1–2 minutes after application to avoid backne.

Not using toner.

I swear to you, toner changed my life. You may think you’re a clean person, but when you use a cotton pad with toner, your whole view will change. Toner is vital to getting and maintaining a clear complexion. If your skin is dry, try an alcohol-free toner like Thayers, and if you’re quite oily try using one with tea tree oil like The Body Shop’s. If you want only one step to your skin care routine, seriously, use toner everywhere (this means face and body!) morning and night.

Not moisturizing after you shower.

Ironically, showering can take away moisture from your skin and dry you out. After a hot shower especially, you might notice feeling a bit scaly. Be sure to put on a thick layer of moisturizer as soon as possible after showering. I stan and recommend this moisturizer by Nivea.

Not drinking enough water.

Blah blah blah you’ve heard this before, but seriously. The trick to glowing skin is hydration! How are you going to glow outside if you’re a prune inside? Drinking 64+ ounces of water (that’s two Gatorade water bottles or one big Nalgene) daily is vital to getting that glowy complexion. 

Remember, everyone’s skin is different, so your perfect skincare routine will definitely look different from another’s. However, taking these steps can definitely change your complexion for the better. Eat the rich and wash it down with some water.

Kyrie Woodard

Columbia Barnard '23

is originally a Washingtonian turned New Yorker. Her hobbies include talking about her cats, Bobby and Greg, and drawing macroeconomic graphs.