This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

I have never really considered myself a foodie, but lately I’ve loved getting to explore New York’s food scene. The thing about New York is that there is such great food on literally every corner and every street. While I am still getting used to the huge American portions and crazy New York prices, I’m excited to continue exploring. I’m still a newbie to the food scene, but here are some of my favorite places so far!

Sundaes & Cones at 95 E 10th St

A few months ago, I ordered an ice cream cake for my sister here and since then, it has been my go to ice cream place. It is known for its Asian-inspired ice cream flavors like taro, Thai tea, green tea, pistachio, and so many more! I personally love the Thai tea one! It is such a cute little shop around Union Square — if you’re ever in the area, this is a must-go! 

Milk & Cream Cereal Bar at 159 Mott St

You can find NYC’s first cereal bar at the edge of Chinatown. You get to choose from a wide selection of desserts — including soft-serve, milkshakes, ice cream. All with cereal mix-ins! One of my favorite dessert places so far!

Taiyaki NYC at 119 Baxter Street

I’m sure most people already know of Taiyaki, but I have to include it in a list of my favorite dessert places! It’s a delicious Japanese ice cream shop with only three locations throughout New York (either really far downtown or in Queens, unfortunately). You can build your own Taiyaki flavor and your ice cream comes in a fish-shaped waffle cone. The commute is worth it, I promise!

Take 31 at 15 E 31st St

My favorite cuisine is Korean food, and Take 31 is such a wonderful discovery. I found it on Tik Tok and immediately rushed there when I heard they serve free tteokbokki and fish cakes. It’s just a few blocks outside of Koreatown and usually gets pretty busy, so make sure to make a reservation!

Il Corallo Trattoria at 179 Prince St 

I’m so excited to go here again for dinner this week! Not only is the pasta here delicious, but the prices are also actually pretty good for New York. It’s the perfect place to grab a bite after a day of shopping around SoHo. 

Ippudo NY at 65 4th Ave

The pork and chicken buns here are to die for. The ramen here is to die for. Everything here is to die for. Just thinking about it right now is making my stomach growl. It’s a little on the pricey side but the food is so worth it! 

As I said, I’m not a foodie, so I can’t promise I have the highest standards. Admittedly, most foods will satisfy me, but these are just some of my favorite places so far. Also, clearly I am not a food critic, so yes, my descriptions of these foods are limited to delicious, yum, and really good. I guess you’re just gonna have to trust me!

Angela Tan

Columbia Barnard '24

Angela is a Chinese-American freshman at Barnard, where she wants to major in psychology and minor in education. She loves baking although she's not very good at it and enjoys talking about horror movies, Taylor Swift, and her dog Oreo.