This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Amid this pandemic, it can be very difficult to find things to do. After some time, Netflix does get boring — believe it or not — and you are left with a very limited number of activities. With Thanksgiving coming up we are well into fall, which is my favorite season! It may come as a surprise, but fall is the perfect season for these pandemic times because it is the perfect temperature outside and there are so many safe, outdoor activities to do. So, I am going to walk you through the top six activities (in no particular order) to do this fall!

Apple picking

I was not aware of how common apple picking was until I moved to the East Coast, but it sure is a crowd-pleaser. First of all, the apples are usually so tasty, especially because you get to pick them out yourself. Second, it’s an outdoor activity, so you can definitely bring a couple of friends with you, even friends who aren’t necessarily in your quarantine bubble, because hanging with friends from a social distance outside is a very low-risk environment!

Collecting fall leaves

If you’re an arts and crafts person, I highly recommend collecting fall leaves! I am not the best at arts and crafts, but many of my friends love doing this. If you live somewhere where the leaves present themselves in many beautiful colors, bring a bag with you and collect a bunch of them. Then, with a couple of friends or with your family, you can make some cool crafts. For example, I’ve seen people make super beautiful leaf wreaths, leaf lanterns, and leaf stamped napkins.

Rent a cabin

This may be my favorite one! I’m all about going to cabins far away from civilization and just decompressing. Also, this is actually a very coronavirus-safe activity as Airbnbs and rentals are usually cleaned before you get there and many are cheaper these days, so get on it! At these cabins, you can get a fire going, do puzzles, and just disconnect from everything. Especially during the fall, this activity is a must-do.

Movies in the park or drive-ins

Again, the weather during this time of year is divine, so I suggest getting outside while you still can before it gets cold. I love movies, and although they do sell out quickly, movies in the park are so nice. Just bring a couple of friends, a blanket, some snacks, and you are all set. If that isn’t an option where you live, I suggest drive-ins! Of course, you have to stay in your car, which is not great given that the weather is nice; however, I really enjoy them and they get you out of the house!

Picnics

Another great outdoor activity is having a picnic! I suggest going to a nice big lawn or down by a river or lake if accessible. Bring your favorite snacks and sandwiches and talk with your friends. With everything being on screens these days, picnics are a great opportunity to talk face-to-face with some people and enjoy the outdoors. Also, if cold water doesn’t faze you, jump in!

Hikes

Hiking is another great fall activity. Usually, the scenery is really nice, and again, the weather is amazing. Take a friend or a family member and enjoy the fresh air. If you’re not an active person and hiking can sometimes take a toll on your physical health, I suggest finding trails instead! These usually have a low altitude and easy paths to take. Otherwise, if you’re looking for something extreme, I would suggest a mountain hike or something with cliffs for the views as well!

As you can see, there are many things you can do during the fall that are COVID-19-safe and fun! If none of these speak to you, get creative! If you are more of an indoors person and don’t really want to go outside, I suggest taking advantage of those arts and crafts activities and the movies. However, you can also bake some things or just read a good fall-themed book. I know this fall may not seem as fun as the others, but try and think outside of the box. Good luck with your fall ventures!

Aria Narang

Columbia Barnard '24

Hi! My name is Aria Narang and I absolutely love writing! I am a singer/songwriter and have written over 50 songs and also have a couple of them out on Spotify! I am very excited to write for Her Campus!