This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

I know what you’re thinking — chocolate on Valentine’s Day? A boring cliche. You know what else is a boring cliche? Love letters. Kissing in the rain. Bouquets of roses. We gripe about these things with friends (and on Twitter) without acknowledging why they are cliches. Roses are stunning, and seeing them on your kitchen table forces you to smile. Kissing in the rain has a few logistical shortcomings, but there is something to be said for needing my mouth on your mouth, weather be damned. Similarly, chocolate is a cliche that should be celebrated rather than belittled. Whether you prefer milk, dark, or white, join me on my crusade to reclaim chocolate as a symbol of love, and read on for ways to incorporate it into your V-day.

Nutella Chocolate Cake

If you’re of the belief that everything is improved by Nutella, keep reading. I have baked this exact cake, and let me tell you, it is to die for. Nutella frosting is a perfect complement to the mild sweetness of the cake. I have also used different frosting recipes (vanilla, raspberry, peanut butter), but I haven’t dared to make any other chocolate cake after finding this one. The combination of buttermilk, vegetable oil, and water gives it an unparalleled moistness and the cocoa, a rich chocolate flavor. Ina Garten claims that her signature roast chicken was a catalyst in her love story with husband Jeffrey; I argue that this cake could play the same role. If you’re looking to fuel romance this V-day, this cake is for you.

Flourless Fudge Cookies

Flourless fudge cookies are rich, decadent, and (accidentally) gluten free. I’m not going to claim that these cookies are healthy; however, the only source of fat in the recipe is cocoa powder, making this dessert a lighter chocolate option. Spice them up with the addition of chocolate chips or nuts, and enjoy with your milk — or non-dairy beverage — of choice.

Chocolate Buttermilk Waffles

Most people celebrate Valentine’s Day with a fancy dinner, but why not brunch? Chocolate buttermilk waffles are perfect for a mid-morning meal with your friends, your SO, or someone you’ve had your eye on this year. Serve these fluffy waffles with maple syrup, whipped cream, or fresh berries. No waffle maker? Order a heart shaped one for under $20.

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Chocolate crinkles are simple to make, but truly some of the best cookies I’ve ever had. Firm on the outside, soft on the inside, and coated in confectioners’ sugar, they are the definition of a crowd pleaser. The key to perfect crinkles is to allow the dough to fully chill before rolling in sugar and baking. Such patience yields a beautiful crackle effect that is sure to impress.

Vegan Chocolate Fudge

Vegans, did you think I forgot you? As long as creamy, rich, and — most importantly! — easy vegan fudge exists, I could never. Fudge typically contains condensed milk, corn syrup, and other processed ingredients. Follow this recipe for a tasty treat with only six all-natural ingredients you may already have on hand. Have any fudge left over? Wrap individual pieces with wax paper and place in a cute bag or box for a simple yet thoughtful gift.

Heart Brownie Pops

If you are the type of “chef” who could burn water, this recipe is for you. Easily transform store-bought (or box-made) brownies into a cute party treat with a heart-shaped cookie cutter, pink candy melts, and some pink and red sprinkles. The best part? This treat can be adjusted to fit any dietary restriction based on the type of brownie you buy.

Are you inspired to bake this Valentine’s Day? Take advantage of the holiday (and let’s admit it, the last bit of downtime before midterms) and show the people in your life that you love them with food. Washing dishes is a small price to pay for bonding with loved ones — and some pretty delicious leftovers.

Collier Curran

Columbia Barnard '20

Collier is a senior at Barnard College who enjoys brunch, playing with cats, and yelling at the TV during episodes of the Great British Baking Show. You can pry em dashes out of her cold, dead hands.