Millie Bobby Brown in Enola Holmes
Millie Bobby Brown in Enola Holmes
Netflix

5 Things I Loved About the ‘Enola Holmes’ Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

I’m just gonna say it: Enola Holmes is the best movie I’ve seen this year. Granted, I haven’t seen that many movies due to COVID-19 and the delayed release dates of upcoming films. If you haven’t seen the trailer, Enola Holmes follows the younger sister of Sherlock Holmes, who embarks on a journey to find her missing mother. As she solves the mystery, Enola comes across adventure, danger, and a handsome young Lord (and seriously, who doesn’t like handsome young Lords?).

The empowered storyline

Unlike many of her peers in the late 1800s, Enola is raised by her single mother to be a strong, independent (her name backwards spells Alone), and educated woman. Female empowerment is central to the film’s message, and with women’s rights on the line in the upcoming election, a story about the power of female voices couldn’t have arrived at a better time.

Enola and Viscount Tewksbury’s friendship

First of all, Louis Partridge. What a dreamboat. Anyway, looks aside. Much like Jo and Laurie from Little Women, Enola and Tewksbury’s characters challenge traditional gender norms and stereotypes. They have a refreshing dynamic and make for an adorable pair. Plus, the innocent angst between them had me on the edge of my seat.

The fast-paced mystery

This movie is by no means boring, with mini adventures and surprises at every plot point. I was so invested in the action that some parts of this movie had me yelling at the screen. I also loved the way Enola speaks directly to the camera to narrate and how the dialogue and humor were well-timed and poignant.

This scene

The best scene in the movie was a short one between Sherlock and Edith, an old friend of his mother’s. Edith challenges his complacency in a broken and unfair political system and calls out Sherlock for being a mediocre detective and a bad brother. It was pretty badass.

Enola is a better detective than Sherlock

No spoilers, but like, she just is. It was so satisfying to watch the subversion of an iconic character like Sherlock Holmes and to see Enola challenging the authority of her crummy, hypocritical brothers. Girls are so awesome.

Just watch the movie. And freaking VOTE.

Emilia McFerren

Columbia Barnard '23

Emilia McFerren is a sophomore at Barnard College, studying English and Art History. She loves books, movies, classic and sustainable style, spirituality, and fangirling over One Direction 5 years after their "hiatus". She's an aspiring writer/author, traveler, and activist. If she could have dinner with 5 people, living or dead, she'd choose Audrey Hepburn, Harry Styles, Michelle Obama, Chadwick Boseman, and her grandfather. Reach her at erm2182@barnard.edu or @emiliamcferren on Instagram.