This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

In my experience, if you ask concert-goers whether they would go to a show alone, the answer is almost always no. This response is completely understandable: going to a concert alone might make you feel awkward or exposed, as if everyone is staring at you. If you would have asked me whether I would go to a concert by myself four years ago, the answer would have been “absolutely not!” However, I went to 16 concerts alone over the past two years, and I’m going to tell you exactly why I enjoy myself more flying solo.

You don’t need to worry about pleasing everybody

Since everyone in your party spent so much money on their tickets, it can often be stressful trying to ensure everyone has that enjoyable, perfect experience we all crave. The first concert I ever attended with someone was One Direction on their 2015 Where We Are Tour. The show was amazing, but my friend and I had conflicting viewpoints about when we wanted to arrive at the venue, whether or not we wanted to wait in line for merch; almost every decision became something to fight over. These minor disagreements almost ruined the experience, but luckily the show was killer and made up for the frustration. When you’re alone, you never have to worry about any of this! You can get to the venue whenever you’d like, camp out as long as you want for general admission, get merch on your own terms, and sneak up to a better seat when security isn’t looking (don’t worry, I won’t tell anybody).

It’s easier to buy tickets

Plain and simple: when you select more than two tickets on Ticketmaster, there may not be seats available. Too often tickets for your favorite artist sell out within an hour or two. You may search for three tickets for you and your friends as soon as they go on sale, but you could get the infamous “Sorry! Another fan beat you to those seats.” message. You then spend the next 30 minutes trying to find three seats together that have a decent view. You have to settle for seats on the second or third level because everything else had sold out, when you really could have gotten a pit ticket for just yourself.

You’ll meet new friends

I’ve always loved Harry Styles, so every time he comes around, I go to his concerts. In 2018, I met some of my closest friends camping out for general admission. Even though we’re now thousands of miles apart, I still talk to these girls every single day and maintain a great relationship with them. I also met really kind and generous people inside the venue, including one girl who offered me her catwalk barricade spot so that I could give Harry flowers as he walked past! I even had a group of girls I met that day stay behind and convince security to let me into the venue after I accidentally bought fake tickets off StubHub. There’s an unmatched bond that forms between you and the people you meet that day, even if it just lasts the duration of the concert!

It’s just you and the artist

The most exciting part is when the artist comes on stage. You don’t have to worry about anybody else around you! You can dance and sing as crazily as you’d like without worrying about whether your friends are doing the same. You’ll never see the people sitting around you ever again, so there’s less pressure to conform to how everyone else is dancing. You can just be yourself for one night — as wild and loud as that may be! Trust me, it’s one of the most liberating feelings ever.

It can take you to unexpected places

I always relished the idea of traveling, but I never had a valid excuse or any motivation until I got into concert-going. The first time I ever traveled for a concert was back in 2017 when I flew from Florida to California. It was the feeling of independence and exploration that hooked me, so I started taking up extra shifts at work to fund my newfound passion. Since then, I’ve gone to New York, Atlanta, Miami, and Orlando for concerts. In 2021, I’m going to Uncasville, Boston, Washington D.C., and NYC for shows. I know flying or driving alone is intimidating, but I encourage you to take a risk and explore! You’ll gain unforgettable experiences and memories that will leave you wanting more. 

I promise once you overcome the fear that everyone is looking at you when you’re dancing alone, your experience will be 150 percent better. Now get out there and enjoy your best life flying solo!

Lauren Jones

Columbia Barnard '23

Hey! My name is Lauren and I'm majoring in Biology. When I'm not studying, I can be found reading, going to concerts, or impulse buying clothes.