This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Christmas is a time for eggnog-drunk uncles, sugar cookie-induced food comas, and the worst Hallmark movies I’ve ever seen. These bad movies are both my favorite and least favorite part of the holiday season. In tune with spreading the cheer, I’ve compiled a list of my top five awful Christmas movies to binge this holiday season. If you haven’t read my article on regular bad-good movies, buckle up, because Christmas produces hundreds of awfully fantastic movies freely available on Netflix, and I am HERE for it.

A Christmas Prince, A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding, & A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby

Yes, you read right; this movie is so beloved that it has a trilogy. This film masterpiece begins with Amber, an aspiring journalist, and her opportunity to detail the Aldovian royal family’s shift in power. Hoping for her big break, she literally breaks into the family’s castle and poses as a math tutor for the youngest daughter. Against all odds, Prince Richard, the soon-to-be king, is looking for a queen, and Amber seems to fit the bill. Yet, could Prince Richard fall in love with someone harboring such a large secret?

Christmas Wedding Planner

This Canadian drama/romance details how wedding planner Kelsey’s life changes drastically the moment she meets a dashingly handsome man. Unfortunately, this man, Connor, happens to be the much-hated ex-boyfriend of Kelsey’s cousin, who, of course, Kelsey is planning a wedding for. Too bad he’s such a bad guy — or is he? That’s a question Kelsey finds herself asking herself throughout the movie. Thankfully Kelsey is such a good wedding planner because, by the end of this movie, she’s got another one to plan.

Although critics on IMDb review this movie as “wildly bad” and the “worst movie ever,” I’d tell you to at least give it a shot before disagreeing with my review: one of my favorite awful movies.

The Princess Switch

Stacy, a newly single baker, finds herself entered into a baking competition in Belgravia where she finds her doppelganger Margaret, who is the duchess of Montenaro. Of course, the two realize the other is living their dream life and decide to swap places. Yet, when love muddles up Margaret and Stacy’s lives, how will they resolve their feelings before returning to their respective countries?

I’d definitely call this movie is a step up from High School Musical, if not for Vanessa Hudgens’ double role, but also for having not one, but two love story plots.

The Holiday Calendar

Starving artist Abby finds an unlikely fate after being gifted a magical advent calendar. Though initially skeptical, she begins to believe in the magical qualities of this calendar after it predicts she will get a candy cane that day and she does (seriously, you could convince this girl of anything). Her best friend Josh, who is also a photographer, also believes her and gets his hopes up when her calendar says she will find love during that holiday season. Of course, Josh’s spirits aren’t up too long after she starts dating some other hottie who he “could never compete with.” Will Josh and Abby find love and will the movie end with an incredibly cheesy photoshoot capturing their love for one another in their combined photography studio? Spoiler alert: yes.

Christmas Inheritance

An objectively phenomenal plot, this movie follows an uppity girl’s life as she discovers the true meaning of Christmas. In an attempt to get her “Christmas inheritance,” Ellen gets caught in a snowstorm and finds herself stuck in a small town inn where she encounters, you guessed it, a male love interest. How can she, as a wealthy girl, ever understand this man’s life? Will they ever truly find love since they’re so different? All questions answered by this phenomenal film.

So what are you doing? You’ve got some work to do, so go watch these movies and leave a great review for them on IMDb. (Seriously, they really could use any positive comment on there.)

Kyrie Woodard

Columbia Barnard '23

is originally a Washingtonian turned New Yorker. Her hobbies include talking about her cats, Bobby and Greg, and drawing macroeconomic graphs.