This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

I used to read a lot. In elementary school, I was the kind of kid who would hide under the covers with a tiny flashlight, promising myself just one more chapter. I don’t know what happened, but once I entered high school, I stopped reading as much. 

Thankfully, due to quarantine and the stresses of online school, I’ve been reunited with my love for books this past year. Here are some of the books I’ve read and loved recently! 

It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover 

This is one of the best books I’ve ever read. It’s an emotional rollercoaster that’ll make you cry, laugh, and scream in frustration. It’s a love story to make your heart flutter one second and then shatter it in the next. Hoover’s characters are so real and so lovable, but so flawed at the same time. It took me a few days to process the ending, because I wasn’t sure if I liked it or not. Ultimately, I decided the ending was for the best. 

Feral Youth by Shaun David Hutchinson and others

I was excited to have purchased this book on the street for 44 cents. Feral Youth is a collaborative book by famous authors including Shaun David Hutchinson, Suzanne Young, Stephanie Kuehn and many more! It’s a collection of short narratives that follow 10 troubled teens who are thrown into the wilderness for a three-day survival test. There isn’t exactly a solid plot. Instead it focuses more on character development and how the characters ended up at a camp for delinquents. 

Caucasia by Danzy Senna

I picked this book up for free, and it was probably the best decision I made that week. It is a coming-of-age story following Birdie Lee, who learns to navigate the racially turbulent mid-70s as a mulitracial girl, raised by a Caucasian mother and African American father. This novel tackles many themes including racial inequity and family. It was such a powerful read. 

The Handmaid’s Tale and The Testaments by Margaret Atwood 

I read The Handmaid’s Tale a few years ago but unfortunately forgot most of what happened. I got The Testaments from a friend for Christmas and realized it was the sequel, so I am currently in the process of rereading the first book. This series is such an amazing dystopian concept and has been developed into a very successful TV series (which I plan to start soon). 

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

The thing about this book is that you can’t trust anyone. Not even the narrators. Every single person is a suspect. This story is a thriller told by three different women: an alcoholic, a liar, and a cheat. When one of the women dies, the main narrator Rachel tries to figure out what happened and tries to convince herself she wasn’t involved in any way.

Unfortunately, I probably won’t be reading as much now that the spring semester has started. However, I am always open to book recommendations! DM me on Instagram at @x2angela.tan! 

Angela Tan

Columbia Barnard '24

Angela is a Chinese-American freshman at Barnard, where she wants to major in psychology and minor in education. She loves baking although she's not very good at it and enjoys talking about horror movies, Taylor Swift, and her dog Oreo.