This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Ah, the Holidays—my favorite time of year. I can finally sing carols without getting annoyed looks from my friends, eating candy canes for dinner is acceptable, and (despite finals) my family and friends are all more cheerful. But one of my favorite parts of the season is cuddling up with a hot cocoa and my favorite humans to watch some classic holiday movies. Whether you need to diffuse family tension or just have a nice evening (or morning #WinterBreak), here are my favorite holiday movies to curl up to with my boyfriend (aka my dog):

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Who knew combining the Skeleton King of Halloween and Christmas would make for the best Christmas movie of all time? Full of spooky singing, creepy Halloween Town residents, ridiculous kidnappings, and the heartwarming love between a skeleton and a rag doll, The Nightmare Before Christmas can do no wrong. 

2. It’s a Wonderful Life

Warming hearts since 1946, It’s a Wonderful Life tells the story of George Bailey, a typical American man who needs a little help from some angels to realize how truly wonderful his life has been. Turn on the classic to end all classics and remind yourself that life is more than just finals. 

3. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Chevy Chase once again stars as Clark Griswold, the dad you love to laugh and cringe at. This ridiculous classic movie brings laughs and genuine holiday cheer!

4. Home Alone

Find me someone who doesn’t love Home Alone and I will give up sugar for the rest of my life. This timeless classic somehow combines my biggest fears and my silliest revenge fantasies into one of the most fun and ultimately heartfelt Christmas movies of all time. 

5. The Holiday

Kate Winslet. Cameron Diaz. Jude Law. JACK BLACK. Need I say more? Ok: random Lindsay Lohan/James Franco cameos. This is a ridiculous, fun, relatable movie. We will all be Kate Winslet at some point in our lives. 

And some bonus films…

Elf: Elf is dependably silly, entertaining, and incredibly heartfelt. Lovelovelove. 
Miracle on 34th Street: I pretty much left out movies that make me cry on my list, but this classic is worth the yearly viewing.
Just Friends: YES I know this movie is absolutely ridiculous but please watch it. If not for me, than for Ryan Reynolds lip syncing “I Swear” in the opening scene. Just do it. 

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Rhys Lewis

Columbia Barnard