This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It is very, very rare for me to finish a beauty product. I am a sentimental person and seem to always want to save my favorite products for some nebulous future time. My inability to use is something I still grapple with on a daily basis, but since coming to college, I have found myself much more willing to use my nice things. After all, that is what the myriad products covering my desk are for. Yes, that is an obvious fact, but it is one I’ve only just begun to internalize. Now, when I finish a tube of lip balm or a pot of moisturizer, I feel victorious. Finishing the entirety of a product in a relatively short amount of time is a testament to the quality of the product. Here are the beauty products I’ve finished since arriving at college in late August. I recommend all of them, highly.

Carmex Original Jar

I love Carmex so much. I finished the only container I brought with me to college within the first few months, because I love to slather on a thick coat of it every night after brushing my teeth and washing my face. As soon as I finished the little jar, I bought a pack of three tubes (I cannot live without my Carmex), and I am certain they will be gone by summer. Everything, from the intense moisturization to the delicious scent to the satisfying tingle, is just perfect. Not to mention that the goop factor is off the charts (I love a good goopy balm). 10/10 recommend.

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Moisturizer

I needed a good nightly moisturizer to bring to college, and I bought this without much thought while shopping for dorm supplies at Target. Surprisingly, it soon became one of my favorite products. The rich formula feels expensive, and the light scent refreshes and rejuvenates. This moisturizer is now an integral part of my nightly routine, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Trader Joe’s Hair Mask

I have curly, dry hair, and as luck would have it, the conditioner I brought with me to college was thin and offered no moisturization whatsoever. After a couple days of #suffering, it occurred to me to break out the hair mask I bought on a whim at Trader Joes a while back, and it is now a staple in my daily showering ritual. No matter what conditioner I am using, I mix this in with it for some extra hydration. I also use it as an overnight hair mask (its original purpose) when my hair needs some extra help. I quite literally do not know where I would be without this, and now that I’ve recently bleached my hair, this product is coming in extra handy. Between August and now, I have already gone through two entire tubes, and I don’t see myself halting my use anytime soon.

Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer

This one is a classic, and it’s perfect for me—the quality is off the charts, but it’s still affordable enough that I am comfortable using it on a daily basis. The formula gives the complexion a flattering glow, but I find that it is still long-lasting (and matte) enough that I don’t require powder over top. I use this every single day, usually in lieu of foundation, and I am always extremely happy with how it looks. Never do I get so many compliments on my skin as when I am wearing this concealer. Needless to say, I will be buying more.

Mint Balm Dotcom

This balm is a classic. Minty, tingly, and incredibly moisturizing—it is literally everything anyone could want. Anticipating the day I would inevitably run out of it, I preemptively ordered a new tube so I wouldn’t have to go a day without it. Mint Balm Dotcom is, at least for now and probably for the foreseeable future, my ride or die.

Ava Ferry

Columbia Barnard '22

A Los Angeles transplant living in New York City, Ava is a freshman at Barnard College of Columbia University (the best college in the world), and she has no idea what she's studying. In her free time, you can find her watching Netflix, wandering around the city with her headphones in, reading Vogue, scream-laughing, and offending old conservatives with her uncouth language.