4 Small Concert Venues Throughout NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Live music in NYC is a difficult, saturated market to navigate. With scalpers, sold out shows, and lines that seem to stretch the length of Manhattan, it’s an inhospitable scene for the ill-prepared. However, NYC also boasts far too many small, cozy venues for you to be shelling out $70 for a back row seat at Barclays every weekend. These intimate music venues are the perfect way to actually be able to see whatever show you’re going to without depleting your savings.

Jalopy Theatre In Red Hook’s cover charge ranges from Free Folk Wednesdays to a scant ten dollars. Plus, you’ll have a great view form whatever row of pews you choose to sit on.

Silent Barn in Bushwick provides a space for smaller bands within the daunting landscape that is NYC if you are trying to make it. Cover charges are nearly nonexistent, especially when you consider you’ll be about a foot away from the performers while they play.

Union Hall in Park Slope has hosted musical acts like Andrew Bird. But, most importantly, Two Dope Queens taped most of their first season here, which is really sufficient reason for you to make your way down there immediately.

Rockwood Music Hall on the Lower East Side rarely ever charges cover beyond a drink minimum and will sit you down at a table to enjoy quality music like the sophisticate you are.