This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

I hate to remind you, but I feel like it’s my job: midterms are coming up. All jokes aside, there is never a dull moment at Columbia — it’s hard. I think it is safe to say we all study a lot, regardless of midterms, and sometimes the monotony of going to Butler, getting something from the café, sitting in that chair that you always sit in, and hitting the books for multiple hours on end can get, well, monotonous! So, I come bearing a gift — my playlist. I truly believe that my playlist is the perfect playlist to study to, but if you are not into indie music or dream pop bands like beach house, I have other options for you too. You can follow my playlist on Spotify if you’d like, but for now I am going to give you great bands/artists to listen to while you are trying to finish your economics problem set. 

Beach house

Beach House will always be one of my favorite bands ever, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. There is something so special about their sound that you really can’t find anywhere else. Before I go music geek on everyone, I am going to remind myself that this is strictly music suggestions for studying, so I will try my hardest not to go on any ridiculous tangents. I really suggest you check Beach House out. I can almost guarantee you have heard their “Space Song” or “Myth.” Whenever I throw BH on to accompany my studies, I almost forget about how grueling it is and almost effortlessly (hyperbole) get my work done. Beach House is littered all over my study playlists and every time they come on it feels like I took a shot of espresso! Check them out, please!

Mazzy star

Now, I can never really tell if people know who Mazzy Star is. If you do, great! If you don’t, womp-wah. Her voice is beautiful, not at all overwhelming, and you can easily do work to it. (If you have recently gone through a break up, maybe steer clear from Mrs. Star for the time being. We don’t need anymore meltdowns in Butler). Mazzy is also all over my playlists because I can really focus on whatever I am doing when her voice is in the background. 

Phoebe bridgers

I know, I know, calm down. We all love Phoebe and I think I love her more now she is dating Normal People star Paul Mescal. Again, off topic but still good to know. Phoebe Bridgers is probably my top three artists nowadays. Anytime is a good time to play her music, especially in the library. Songs like “Motion Sickness” and “Savior Complex” are both great to add to your playlist.

Radiohead

I am trying my hardest to keep this succinct because Radiohead is my favorite band and four sentences will never do the band justice, but, in life, we have to do hard things. Now, if you say “Creep” is your favorite Radiohead song, you don’t really listen to Radiohead, do you? Creep is not even close to the best Radiohead song. You must listen to Radiohead, I beg of you. Most Radiohead songs are calm with heavy instrumentals and Thom Yorke’s voice makes everything better, I promise. “Bullet Proof… I wish I was,” “House of Cards,” “All I Need,” the list goes on and on. And, if you don’t feel like looking them up, just follow my playlist (Are you proud I kept it brief? Me too!).

I only gave you four suggestions because I don’t know what kind of music people like. You can check out my Spotify playlist (“Butler”) and let me know what you think/if you use it! If you have suggestions please let me know so I can add them. Study away, my friends!

Link to my playlist: 

Alexandra Weber

Columbia Barnard '24

My name is Ola Weber and I play soccer here at Columbia. I have a passion for theater, coffee, and good books! I am from New Jersey (it's not that bad) and have always loved writing! My major is economics & mathematics so, as you can imagine, I don't write as much as I would like to!