2018 Books Recommendations Based on Your Past Faves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

I love reading in a big way. Aside from not being able to survive 24 hours without diving into a book, I also spend way too much time in bookstores and trolling the book section on Amazon. The list of books on my wishlist is a mile long…or probably more, at this point. Whenever I’m chatting with someone about my passion for reading, however, one of the biggest questions I get is how on earth I decide which books to read. I understand the struggle– despite rave (or not-so-rave) reviews, peer recs, and more, it can be hard to decode which books you’ll enjoy. The advice I always give to people is to choose books based on tomes they’ve liked in the past, a method that I myself use and has brought me good results in the past.  That’s why I’ve compiled a list below of quick 2018 new releases to put on your list based on popular titles from the past couple years. From poetry to historical fiction, there’s something for everyone in here!

1. If you loved everything by Rupi Kaur

…you should check out The Witch Doesn’t Burn in This One by Amanda Lovelace, out March 6, 2018

2. If you loved The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo…

…get a copy of Judgement Detox by Gabrielle Bernstein out January 2, 2018.

3. If you loved The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas…

…be sure to find A Girl Like That by Tanaz Bhathena, out February 27, 2018.

4. If you loved Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty…

…treat yourself to a fresh edition of The Innocent Wife by Amy Lloyd, March 6, 2018.

5. If you loved Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi…

…you want to know about The Solace of Water: A Novel by Elizabeth Byler Younts, out June 5, 2018.

Are you a book-lover, as well? What’re your most-anticipated releases for the New Year? Are you adding any of these to your list?

Happy reading, HCXO!

A self-proclaimed dark chocolate hoarder living and learning in Manhattan. A book-lover at heart, Olivia can most often be found reading, doing yoga, or destressing on the swings in Riverside Park.