2016 Oscars Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Last night’s Chris Rock hosted Oscars was, in my opinion, probably the best in years and jam-packed with talking point moments. Here’s a quick run down of the best of last night so you too can pretend like you sat through three and a half hour show, coming to you from a lady who got 17/24 right on her Oscars ballot. 

Leo Finally Won

The Internet apocalypse was narrowly avoided! It was actually pretty sweet. Leo got a standing ovation AND an even bigger sign of respect, as whoever produced the show decided not to play the music to get him off the stage when he was giving his acceptance speech. 

Chris Rock Slayed

Instead of going for the flashy musical numbers and gimmicks of previous hosts like Ellen and NPH, Chris Rock basically just did straight stand-up for the whole night. He gave Hollywood’s elite some real talk on systemic racism and sexism in Hollywood. Although some of them didn’t quite know how to react, Chris Rock is so smart that he never came across as patronizing or mean. No one was safe from him, most especially Will and Jada Pinkett Smith. He had a platform, he used it, and he was amazing.  

Stacey Dash Made Everyone Uncomfortable

Stacey Dash’s publicist clearly made some kind of insane deal to get her out on stage to say “Happy Black History” after her Fox and Friends mishap (http://mediamatters.org/video/2016/01/20/foxs-stacey-dash-there-shouldnt-be-a-black-hist/208060). Her presence prompted the question “Who is that?” from almost everyone who watched with me. Cue Chrissy Teigen making another epic and GIF-able face.

Best Friends: Joe Biden and Lady Gaga

Joe Biden was in the house to introduce Lady Gaga and talk about consent. Lady Gaga gave an incredibly powerful performance and brought people in the audience to tears. Because Leo won his Oscar, the Internet needs something to explode in a rage over. So, Sam Smith’s win over Lady Gaga for the mediocre “Writing’s on the Wall” is the new thing.

The Return of Ali G

Ali G – the man, the myth, the legend – came back to demand equality for minions and Darth Bader. Olivia Wilde, who was co-presenting with him, tried so hard not to laugh the entire time.

Best and Worst Dressed

While we have a complete list coming this afternoon, I’ll give you a few quick thoughts. Charlize Theron and Rachel McAdams slayed with, in my opinion, the best dressed of the night. Margot Robbie looked like a flawless Oscar statue. Emily Blunt and Chrissy Teigen looked epic and showed off their baby bumps. While she looked beautiful, Alicia Vikander’s dress was not doing it for me; she looked like Belle from Beauty and the Beast and not in a good way. Heidi Klum’s dress was way too much for me. Jared Leto’s weird rosette bowtie situation was odd at best.

Jacob Tremblay Was King of the Oscars

The tiny Room star looked like a precious bean last night and quite literally melted my heart. I literally squealed when freaked out over BB8 and C3PO while presenting. A collective “aw” was heard around the world when Brie Larson thanked him in her acceptance speech.

Other Important Wins

Spotlight took home Best Picture (#YAS), Alicia Vikander won Best Supporting Actress, Mark Rylance won Best Supporting Actor, Alejandro Inaritu won Best Director for the second year in a row, and Emmanuel Lubezki won for cinematography for the third year in a row. Ennio Morricone took home Best Score and gave an adorable speech in Italian. Finally, Mad Max swept, winning 6 Oscars and Ex Machina beat out Star Wars in a shocking (but well deserved) win.