This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

2019 will bring with it many new trends, and hopefully it will leave some behind. The beginning of 2019—a decade after the musically iconic year of 2009—gives us the perfect opportunity to look back on some of the best (or worst) pop culture trends we miss (and maybe pretend we don’t) from 2009.

1. Silly Bandz

Before there was Bitcoin, there were Silly Bandz: real, valuable currency; a status symbol; a fashion statement.

2. Twilight

While some may argue Twilight is a terrible movie, it was also a cultural movement, and, with the release of the first movie at the end of 2008, it helped us address such urgent social questions such as whether vampires are better than werewolves, and vice-versa. Besides, what’s a more iconic image than Robert Pattinson gagging in a high school classroom at the mere smell of Kristen Stewart?

3. Glee

Premiering in May of 2009, Ryan Murphy’s Glee became an instant hit. Let’s be honest, as embarrassed as we may be about both watching Glee and its general existence in our world, which of us—especially those of us who were any combination of preteen girl, LGBT, and lonely—can truly claim to never have watched the show?

4. Taylor Swift

Sure, she’s still around, but who can truly beat Taylor Swift at her peak in the Fearless era, circa “You Belong With Me” music video and the 2009 VMAs?

5. The heavy smoky eye

One of the best parts about the smoky eye is that the difference between a good smoky eye look and a bad smoky eye look is fairly slim, leaving more room for error than there is in today’s popular makeup trends.

6. Hannah Montana: The Movie

7. Justin Bieber, but when he was a still a teenybopper

With the release of his single “One Time,” 2009 is where Justin Bieber—and therefore everyone’s obsession with his hair—began.

8. The Black Eyed Peas’ “I Gotta Feeling,” Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies and Lady Gaga’s “Just Dance”

With songs like Owl City’s “Fireflies,” Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance,” The Black Eyed Peas’ “I Gotta Feeling,” Miley Cyrus’ “The Climb,” and, of course, (though technically released in 2008) Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies,” nothing can beat the absolute jams of 2009 pop music.

9. The Blind Side

While it’s hard to say what Sandra Bullock’s best movie might be, her performance in The Blind Side won her a well-deserved Oscar, as well as a plethora of other awards, and the movie received an Oscar nomination for Best Picture.

10. Barack Obama

Is there anything else to say? (Besides, of course, we miss him, especially since he’s a Columbia University alum.)

Genevieve Rogers

Columbia Barnard '22

Genevieve Rogers is a freshman in Columbia College.