This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Happy Women’s History Month! Since coming to New York City, I have met so many amazing and powerful women. I am blessed to be surrounded by them in my classes, in my campus community, and everywhere in the city.

However, while we celebrate the women around us, we cannot turn away from the mounting social issues in this country. In case you were unaware, hate crimes against Asians have increased by 1900% since COVID-19. I have read news about Asians being shoved to their death, set on fire, and subject to various other acts of violence. It’s been extremely painful to see this kind of response directed towards the people of my community. 

In light of Women’s History Month and the recent hateful crimes committed against Asian Americans, I thought I’d share ten strong Asian American Women in the entertainment industry you should know about today. 

Maggie Q

I have looked up to Maggie Q since I was little. At the time, it was so rare to see Asian characters in strong, leading roles, so I watched her show, Nikitaobsessively. Some other notable films she appears in are the Divergent series and Mission: Impossible III.

Brenda Song

Similarly, I grew up watching Brenda as London Tipton in The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. Playing the role of a lovable, dumb, rich girl, she was one of my favorite characters as a kid. She later worked in many films, including the critically acclaimed movie The Social Dilemma.  

NIKI

NIKI is one of the biggest Asian artists right now. Under the company 88rising, which works with many other Asian artists like Joji and Rich Brian, NIKI has made it big in recent years with her amazing music. Some of her biggest singles are “lowkey”, “Indigo”, and “I Like U”.

Ashley aka @bestdressed

I discovered Ashley’s YouTube channel years ago from one of her many outfit inspiration videos. She now has an overwhelming 3.7 million subscribers, and is still one of my favorite YouTubers. 

Lana Condor

Lana Condor rose to fame as the lead in the popular To All The Boys trilogy. In contrast to the lovable Lara Jean Covey, she plays an absolute badass in the show Deadly Class. And, she also puts out amazing music that you should definitely check out!

Kaiti Yoo

I’ve only recently discovered Kaiti Yoo’s YouTube Channel, but she has quickly become one of my favorites. While balancing both YouTube and schoolwork at Brown University, Yoo makes some of the coolest outfit videos and has such a fun personality!

Linh Truong

I love watching well-edited, aesthetically pleasing YouTube videos, and Linh is yet another example of that. Her YouTube Channel is probably the most aesthetically pleasing one I’ve ever seen, and I get so excited whenever she posts a new video!

Arden Cho

The YouTube scene has changed a lot in the past decade, but back in the OG YouTube days, Arden Cho made some hilarious videos with Ryan Higa, and starred in the comedy short film Agents of Secret Stuff. I also loved her as Kira Yukimura in Teen Wolf. 

Hayley Kiyoko

Hayley Kiyoko is a very successful singer-songwriter, actress, and dancer. I absolutely love the music she puts out, and some of her most famous singles include “Curious”, “I wish”, and “Feelings”. Widely considered a gay icon by fans, she is also a strong advocate for the LGBTQ+ community and much of her music highlights her own experiences. 

Awkwafina 

Awkwafina has made a big name for herself as an actress, comedian, and author. She has acted in many blockbuster films like Ocean’s Eight, Crazy Rich Asians, and Jumanji: The Next Level

There are so many other Asian American women to recognize as the entertainment industry increasingly opens up to be more inclusive and diverse. Of course, there is still so much work to be done, and the Asian community is hurting. If you have not already, please read up and learn about the anti-Asian hate crimes right now.

Angela Tan

Columbia Barnard '24

Angela is a Chinese-American freshman at Barnard, where she wants to major in psychology and minor in education. She loves baking although she's not very good at it and enjoys talking about horror movies, Taylor Swift, and her dog Oreo.